General Anyone had problems with Abarth 595 Competizione?

Currently reading:
General Anyone had problems with Abarth 595 Competizione?

BeeJay60

My new 2015 Abarth 595 Competizione 160 had a new engine, turbo, and intercooler fitted under warranty at only 4 days old from handover and 360 miles covered. It was in the workshop for 5 weeks.
Three weeks later at 1640 miles, the engine suddenly lost power and went into "limp home mode" and only able to rev up to 3000 rpm. Clearly I have a dud car.

The full story is on the Newbie Fiat thread.

Anyone else know of similar experiences with the Abarth 595 Competizione 160?

Hello and welcome to the forum :wave:. Sorry it's in such sad circumstances.

This is most disappointing!

As you say, you have a dud car.

Personally I'd have rejected the car after the first failure; certainly I'd be rejecting it now.

There's no way I'd take it back from the dealership after what's happened - my confidence in it would be utterly destroyed.

Last edited:
Thank you.

I am already of the same mind and I am rejecting the car.

I'll let the Forum know the response I get from the Abarth dealership concerned which is 170 miles away from where I live.

Much as I say "reject it" (or I have been on the EU6 thread) I'm not sure there's grounds for a rejection here yet.

Such a catastrophic failure (from your other thread, turbo intake impellor shattered flinging metal into the engine) at 360 miles is clearly a freak one off failure.

The dealership successfully fixed that in a reasonable time (considering this is a limited production version with a "special" engine, not a bread and butter 1.2) and (presumably, though this is FIAT) you were provided with a courtesy car.

That fault now seems to have been fixed succesfully. Also worth noting they installed a completely new engine, rather than faffing around replacing odd bits here and there (yes, I know that's cheaper for them). There is unlikely to be a latent failure lurking from that.

Your new fault is apparently unrelated to this previous fault; a huge myriad of things can throw the engine into limp home mode and not all of them are serious.

I disagree you have a dud car; you have a car that had a one off freak failure that has been successfully fixed and that now has an, as of yet, undiagnosed problem.

I don't think you yet have legal (or moral) grounds for rejection. Even if this new issue is somehow related to the engine replacement, I don't think you're legally entitled to reject.

Much as I say "reject it" (or I have been on the EU6 thread) I'm not sure there's grounds for a rejection here yet.

Such a catastrophic failure (from your other thread, turbo intake impellor shattered flinging metal into the engine) at 360 miles is clearly a freak one off failure.

The dealership successfully fixed that in a reasonable time (considering this is a limited production version with a "special" engine, not a bread and butter 1.2) and (presumably, though this is FIAT) you were provided with a courtesy car.

That fault now seems to have been fixed succesfully. Also worth noting they installed a completely new engine, rather than faffing around replacing odd bits here and there (yes, I know that's cheaper for them). There is unlikely to be a latent failure lurking from that.

Your new fault is apparently unrelated to this previous fault; a huge myriad of things can throw the engine into limp home mode and not all of them are serious.

I disagree you have a dud car; you have a car that had a one off freak failure that has been successfully fixed and that now has an, as of yet, undiagnosed problem.

I don't think you yet have legal (or moral) grounds for rejection. Even if this new issue is somehow related to the engine replacement, I don't think you're legally entitled to reject.
Come on, 2 serious car failures in a few hundred miles on a brand new car? Not what I'd call reliable! Reject the car. I would also have lost complete confidence in the car, just like in my 4 year old Fiat 500, but even worse for the OP is that theirs is brand new!

Thank you.

I am already of the same mind and I am rejecting the car.

I'll let the Forum know the response I get from the Abarth dealership concerned which is 170 miles away from where I live.
yes please keep us updated lets see how Fiat CS sort this one out.

I consider I have a very strong case for rejecting the car. It is 72 days old from brand new. This car has been roadworthy for only 29 of those days. The remaining 43 days and counting, the car has been off the road broken down or in the dealership workshop.

I was prepared to give the car a second change following the one-off engine failure. This decision has transpired to be completely wrong.

A sudden loss of engine power without warning, is putting the car and it's occupants in a potentially dangerous situation. I have consequently lost complete confidence in this car.

I have rejected the car and demanded a new replacement.

I'll let you know how it works out after the argy bargy.

This is so called a "Lemon" issue, for a NEW car with these kinds of failuers and high price tag - i wouldn't go less for getting a brand new one! not repairs!

You payed alot of money, you should insist of getting a new car only, it will not come from them only from you, dont be easy and let them lead you, 5 weeks at the workshop, how rude.

Paradoxically it might legally be harder after agreeing to the engine replacement; at that point, it would have been a slam dunk.

Any failure of a new car in the first few days sufficient to require complete engine replacement would, IMO, be considered a cast-iron case for rejection by any Court.

I am delighted to report that following friendly, but firm consultations with the Abarth dealership in Edinburgh, I have been offered a replacement car.

I have accepted a new pre-reg Abarth 595 Competizione 180 in Cordolo Red metallic with 20 miles approximately recorded as a straight swap for my faulty Competizione 160. I collect the car on Wednesday next.

The fault on my previous troublesome Competizione was a failed Turbo Boost Control Solenoid which triggered the "limp home mode".

So all's well that ends well.

It is worth mentioning that I am very impressed with the way the management personnel involved at the Edinburgh dealership handled this matter. Their desire to resolve a tricky customer complaint situation in-house, rather than risking the escalating of the matter into the corporate and public domain is entirely to their credit.

So, as a Newbie to the Abarth brand, I am looking forward to enjoying my new Competizione 180 to the full, following the important running-in of course. I shall update the forum as appropriate and hopefully it'll all be positive from now on.

Well done. Hope you have many miles of trouble free motoring from now on(y)

I am delighted to report that following friendly, but firm consultations with the Abarth dealership in Edinburgh, I have been offered a replacement car.

I have accepted a new pre-reg Abarth 595 Competizione 180 in Cordolo Red metallic with 20 miles approximately recorded as a straight swap for my faulty Competizione 160. I collect the car on Wednesday next.

The fault on my previous troublesome Competizione was a failed Turbo Boost Control Solenoid which triggered the "limp home mode".

So all's well that ends well.

It is worth mentioning that I am very impressed with the way the management personnel involved at the Edinburgh dealership handled this matter. Their desire to resolve a tricky customer complaint situation in-house, rather than risking the escalating of the matter into the corporate and public domain is entirely to their credit.

So, as a Newbie to the Abarth brand, I am looking forward to enjoying my new Competizione 180 to the full, following the important running-in of course. I shall update the forum as appropriate and hopefully it'll all be positive from now on.

Congrats !

I collected my new Abarth 595 Competizione 180 yesterday from The Edinburgh Abarth dealership Arnold Clark. I must record my appreciation to the General Manager, Kevin Ferguson, who conducted the handover personally. This was a replacement car for my previous Competizione 595 160 which was a complete failure for me. The new car, although pre-registered on 30 April 2015, had only 12 miles recorded and was effectively a brand new car. Also in the same Cordolo Red paint too.

Having only driven it home to the Highlands where I live, I can say without reservation that this is a completely different car from the Competrizione 160. The throttle response, engine note, and sheer poke, distinguishes this new upgraded model with the previous model. This is what Abarth should have produced for the Competizione in the first instance! I have also had the experience of owning both editions back to back.

I'll report back to the Abarth 500 Forum on a separate thread later after I have completed the running-in process. Yup, I am a believer in the importance of running-in the engine and drive train components. In my long experience of performance car ownership, this usually pays dividends for engine life, oil consumption, and importantly performance, later. It's worth the wait.

Cheers,
Brian

I collected my new Abarth 595 Competizione 180 yesterday from The Edinburgh Abarth dealership Arnold Clark. I must record my appreciation to the General Manager, Kevin Ferguson, who conducted the handover personally. This was a replacement car for my previous Competizione 595 160 which was a complete failure for me. The new car, although pre-registered on 30 April 2015, had only 12 miles recorded and was effectively a brand new car. Also in the same Cordolo Red paint too.

Having only driven it home to the Highlands where I live, I can say without reservation that this is a completely different car from the Competrizione 160. The throttle response, engine note, and sheer poke, distinguishes this new upgraded model with the previous model. This is what Abarth should have produced for the Competizione in the first instance! I have also had the experience of owning both editions back to back.

I'll report back to the Abarth 500 Forum on a separate thread later after I have completed the running-in process. Yup, I am a believer in the importance of running-in the engine and drive train components. In my long experience of performance car ownership, this usually pays dividends for engine life, oil consumption, and importantly performance, later. It's worth the wait.

Cheers,

Brian

Do those miles quick so you can properly test the car !

Back