General Abarth Build Specs

Currently reading:
General Abarth Build Specs

Aussie500nut

About 12 months back we got a Twinair, Dualogic 500 - magic car
Then about 4 months after we got ours, our son got a Lounge Dualogic 500 too.
He drives into Brisbane CBD everyday, so the"auto" is great in traffic
and they both have the Paddles so are great fun at anytime

Just recently we had to go to Southport and ended up parking across from the Fiat Showroom.
They had a couple of Abarths on the front apron so on the way back we stopped and had a look.
Ended up going for a test drive in a 500C with the MTA gearbox

YES I WANT one- we both do (y)(y)
Plan on getting 2 identical cars in about 12 - 18months
and we would both prefer a tin-top with MTA gearbox

Then we found out that the MTA gearbox is only available in the Convertible -
and conversely, the manual is only available in the tin-top. (n)

Spoke with the sales manager and he checked it out with FiatOz and that's the way it will be
If you want a manual you get a tin-top
If you want an "auto" you have to get a convertible (and pay a LOT more)

So the question is .
In the UK, EU or anywhere else for that matter, can you order a car to your spec ?
Or, like us here in Australia, are you bound by the 2 fixed choices

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
About 12 months back we got a Twinair, Dualogic 500 - magic car
Then about 4 months after we got ours, our son got a Lounge Dualogic 500 too.
He drives into Brisbane CBD everyday, so the"auto" is great in traffic
and they both have the Paddles so are great fun at anytime

Just recently we had to go to Southport and ended up parking across from the Fiat Showroom.
They had a couple of Abarths on the front apron so on the way back we stopped and had a look.
Ended up going for a test drive in a 500C with the MTA gearbox

YES I WANT one- we both do (y)(y)
Plan on getting 2 identical cars in about 12 - 18months
and we would both prefer a tin-top with MTA gearbox

Then we found out that the MTA gearbox is only available in the Convertible -
and conversely, the manual is only available in the tin-top. (n)

Spoke with the sales manager and he checked it out with FiatOz and that's the way it will be
If you want a manual you get a tin-top
If you want an "auto" you have to get a convertible (and pay a LOT more)

So the question is .
In the UK, EU or anywhere else for that matter, can you order a car to your spec ?
Or, like us here in Australia, are you bound by the 2 fixed choices

Thanks in advance

There's a lot of mixed opinions about the MTA so make sure you're absolutely sure before spending the extra cash on the C

Y

There's a lot of mixed opinions about the MTA so make sure you're absolutely sure before spending the extra cash on the C

Thanks Mercy
Please correct me if I am wrong, but from what I have read, I believe the MTA in the Abarth is better than the Dualogic in the standard 500, which is what we have now, in that the change is quicker and presumably beefed up for double the power

More than happy with the Dualogic, and was quite at home with the Abarth on the test drive.

Are there any other issues apart from not being like the conventional torque converter "auto" ??

Thanks Mercy
Please correct me if I am wrong, but from what I have read, I believe the MTA in the Abarth is better than the Dualogic in the standard 500, which is what we have now, in that the change is quicker and presumably beefed up for double the power

More than happy with the Dualogic, and was quite at home with the Abarth on the test drive.

Are there any other issues apart from not being like the conventional torque converter "auto" ??

I've little experience of either tbh! I'm just going by what I've read re the MTA. I guess if you're comfortable with the dualogic then you will find the MTA ok. Theres probably other members here who could add more then me and who have owned both.:)

Some of the special editions here in AU came with MTA and hardtop, the Ferrari and 595 too I believe.

In Europe, you can have either box in either car, it's just FIAT AU that are being stubborn. Maybe try emailing a few dealers around you to see who is willing to do a factory order for you.

My Abarth was a special order ..... albeit with ATECO

Eight month wait and paying list - but it can be done

My tip - contact FiatOz ......... my experience with the Dealers was generally woeful

I would stress that you are interested in buying two cars

Good Luck

I have an A500c Esseesse (SS) with MTA. The box likes torque to sustain smoother gear changes and, from experience, if you want one go for SS or slightly newer 595 spec as it's better suited to the box.

In the UK, up until the about late 2012 the MTA box was only available in the convertible. Once the range was revised to include 595, it became available across the range.

Last edited:
I have an A500c Esseesse (SS) with MTA. The box likes torque to sustain smoother gear changes and, from experience, if you want one go for SS or slightly newer 595 spec as it's better suited to the box.

In the UK, up until the about late 2012 the MTA box was only available in the convertible. Once the range was revised to include 595, it became available across the range.

Thanks Boodajuda
The Abarths here in Oz are fairly high spec (I think)
Yes there is only the choice of manual tin top or auto convertible but they are the Essessse, no other choice and from what the sales manager said, no factory orders either (n):cry:
It also has the electronic dimming rearview mirror, upgraded sound system and rear parking sensors that I can recall - not sure if all Abarths have these

Likewise, the standard 500 with Dualogic comes with paddles as well
For me the Dualogic box in the Twinair gives the car the "fun" factor and it is the first auto that we bought

So, IMHO an Abarth would HAVE to be MTA to give it the maximum drivability fun

As I stated above I suggest contacting FCA directly about a special order

My experience with the dealers was that they (the sales team) do not like special orders - they do not see their commission and are more motivated to sell you a car already in stock. In the end I contacted ATECO directly and basically hassled and begged about a special order until they relented - it was a PITA at the time but I have no regrets ..... for a fleeting few months I had the only Campovolo in Australia

Nothing ventured nothing gained

Good Luck

As I stated above I suggest contacting FCA directly about a special order

My experience with the dealers was that they (the sales team) do not like special orders - they do not see their commission and are more motivated to sell you a car already in stock. In the end I contacted ATECO directly and basically hassled and begged about a special order until they relented - it was a PITA at the time but I have no regrets ..... for a fleeting few months I had the only Campovolo in Australia

Nothing ventured nothing gained

Good Luck

Thanks - that is the way we will have to go

Been looking at the UK Configurator - very nice - attached would be my choice
On the configurator they don't list the Esseesse as such.
They have the Turismo and the Competizione which is the top spec
Any idea where the Oz spec Esseesse models fit in ?
Seems to be close to the Turismo as they (our Esseesse) don't have the Monza exhaust system

Attachments

• topview.jpg
    topview.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 54
AFAIK – the Aust basic spec Abarths are the off the shelf standard models with the EsseEsse kit already fitted plus a few other goodies – climate control, parking sensors, Interscope, stripes…

But there is the joker in the pack – the importation of Oz spec Abarths have always been a bit random with odd selections arriving at times – sometimes even the importer is surprised (according to ATECO). Eg: Campovolo was never a Oz colour, nor the two tone colours, I have seen a few 595’s advertised – including one with the same two tone paint job as you want

The crucial point is that whatever model you want it must have type approval / compliance in Australia (which I believe the entire Abarth models do)

My tip would be first go to a dealer and understand fully what the current Oz spec Abarth have, and hopefully when you are negotiating for your new models make super sure you spell out everything item by item (as well as having a very good handle as to what the options are priced at overseas – they tried to ask for another $2K for wheels that were a 300 Euro option in Italy)

Hope it all works out for you

Thanks - that is the way we will have to go
Been looking at the UK Configurator - very nice - attached would be my choice
/QUOTE]

Two tone resale price seems low in UK, chose your colour carefully, I don't think it suits the car and is a gimmick, but visual choices are subjective.

Like you are struggling in Oz, we are also struggling (a bit in UK) as extra goodies are being offered to US customers; colours, seamless joins on the centre console, window buttons, full auto, 160 bhp as standard, comfy seats, armrest.

Update
Been to a couple of dealers, firstly to check out exactlywhat is on the Oz cars and test drive where possible, and to try and get cars built to what we want.

First dealer let us take an Essesse convertible for a test run, then took down all the details and as there were 2 cars involved for some reason passed it on to their feet sales. Because we don't have a company it can't be done, so that was that - said they would get the dealer to contact us but they never did - so scratch that dealership

Second dealer started badly in that when I went to have a look at an Anniversary model that I had seen on Carsales, well I climbed all over it, sat in it, opened the bonnet, opened boot to check if it had a "get you home spare" as advertised - which it didn't - laid on the floor checking the jacking points - same as the 500. But through all this no-one came near me or asked if I needed assistance - so I left

When I got home I had an email in reply to the Carsales request I had filled out the night before, so I related the above.
Got another reply asking that we give them another go as this was supposedly not the norm. Turned out that we were going that way the next Saturday so went back to a much better reception and ended up taking the Anniversary out for a test drive - VERRRRRRY nice - love the sound of the Monza exhaust.
In fact, now I want to buy a Monza exhaust and put some sort of car in front of it

They gave as a quote for a speced up Essesse with all but the Monza exhaust. Not what we wanted.
But interesting in that the pricing calculator on his computer did allow the specing of the hatch with the MTA gearbox, plus the Xenons and sunroof with the two tone colour - although it only had codes and no-one knew what colours the coded actually represented. I found these later, again on a UK Abarth website.

Anyway, we had printed out details for the the Competizione and Turismo models that we had taken from the UK configurator which we left with him and he said he would follow up with Fiat Oz regarding availability of ordering one of these.

Seems we were right on the time line for the change over here to the new 595 models
So over the following couple of weeks we slowly got replies to our questions and now the Abarth section of the fiat web site is showing the 595 models - no prices though

But the big change is that it seems we can now put in a factory order and it will take up to 6 months for it to get here. The Oz spec Competizione does not seem to have Xenon headlights either, must be an option, and not sure about climate control either. But we have an indicative price for what we want so now we will need to get the build codes to make sure all that we want is included before we proceed any further. In all a good outcome but like all these things the proof will be when it all comes together which is not until end of the year for delivery mid 2015.

But there is another possibility and that is the Anniversary model.
Not real keen on the mat paint finish, which apparently needs a whole lot of extra care on the negative side, but on the positive, it comes with the 695 mechanicals, 180hp and the Brembo brakes plus Xenons and sunroof and leather interior - everything we want except the mat paint - oh yeah and the speedo

For some reason the speedo is in MPH - go figure. (n)
It does have KPH as well but it so small you can't read it - some obviously goofed big time.:eek:

Price will probably be the final decider as it always is but it nice to know we CAN get a car built to order, albeit a timely affair

I recently bought a 500s ( for the wife) from Mt Gravatt, and a salesman mentioned a father and son wanting matching abarth cars and I'm guessing that was you?

As you say the new versions are all labeled 595 or competizone from now, and they have also been reduce in price over their previous year models by about 1-2k from what I have read. This along with the series 3 model changes such as TFT display mean there are some good deals to be had on the current esseesse stocks if you want to go that way...

I have not driven the abarth yet but am considering changing to one from my 370z after driving the wife's new 500s which is a fun little ride...

Not real keen on the mat paint finish, which apparently needs a whole lot of extra care on the negative side,

If you don't use special products etc you'll end up with a semi gloss finish. I had a matt black bike that's now semi gloss. I think no matter how careful you are you'll eventually end up with a polished (semi gloss) surface, unless you never touch the finish. At that point you can just use normal products/ procedures.

I recently bought a 500s ( for the wife) from MtGravatt, and a salesman mentioned a father and son wanting matching Abarth carsand I'm guessing that was you ?...
Most likely as everyone there seems to know about it

I have not driven the Abarth yet but am consideringchanging to one from my 370z after driving the wife's new 500s which is a funlittle ride...
FUN is the operative word

The Sport would be a manual and I suggest that you try a Dualogic, the Fiat version of an automatic gearbox before you make a final decision - they are very different

I am not one for auto gearboxes but my TwinAir plus and the son's Lounge both have Dualogics and when we get the Abarths they will also have the MTA gearbox for no other reason than the "fun" factor. The flappy paddles are a blast

There is a lot of discussion on the 500 forum about the Dualogic - yes it is different but so is the rest of the car - for us it just adds character and makes the driving experience better

thanks Maxi - you learn something every day LOL

Update on the update - Mat Paint Care

Been looking at the care requirements for mat paint
There are horror stories and a lot to make you stay away from it but then I found this -

http://www.drbeasleys.com/blog/2012/06/13/matte-paint-made-easy/

problem is that they make the products, which are expensive, so they have a vested interest, sort of a conflict of interest and as the oldadage goes "self praise is no recommendation"
But I guess the products must work or there would be reports to that effect

also this

http://www.complex.com/sports/2013/01/hyundai-shows-you-how-to-clean-a-matte-paint-job-after-a-cupcake-war

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ??

Last edited:

FUN is the operative word

The Sport would be a manual and I suggest that you try a Dualogic, the Fiat version of an automatic gearbox before you make a final decision - they are very different

I am not one for auto gearboxes but my TwinAir plus and the son's Lounge both have Dualogics and when we get the Abarths they will also have the MTA gearbox for no other reason than the "fun" factor. The flappy paddles are a blast

There is a lot of discussion on the 500 forum about the Dualogic - yes it is different but so is the rest of the car - for us it just adds character and makes the driving experience better

The sport version I picked up is the Dualogic version, and as you say it has it's querks but it is a good car to drive. I'm not so keep on the takeoff with the Dualogic as it is a little slow to get moving and changing gear fast can have its issues. That and reversing is a pain the the ass when going up an incline, so was thinking a manual would be better for the Abarth, i'm not sure if the Abarth has a better MTA box than the other 500's.

My 370 has paddles and they are fun once moving! but the 370 is almost too quick and before you get to enjoy it you're already breaking the law.. The 500 feels fast even when it's not....

Last edited:
Back