General Abarth 500 Euro 6

Currently reading:
General Abarth 500 Euro 6

S33

Does anyone know the difference between Eoro 5 and Euro 6 cars? I'm hoping to take the plunge into Abarth ownership very soon. The dealer thinks there is one Euro 5 car available now, or I could order a Euro 6 car for March delivery. Any thoughts?
Thanks

I believe it is all to do with emissions. The euro 6 having lower emissions than Euro 5. The lower emissions are not supposed to affect performance. Cannot see much info on this but not had much time to search on it thoroughly.

We do have some gurus RUI or jrkitching on the forum who are very good at research on such matters, so the debate is now open.

Last edited:
its emmission compliance

the mapping and turbo may be different to achieve the revised standard or it may have already been at a level that fell within the spec

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_emission_standards[/ame]

the mapping and turbo may be different to achieve the revised standard or it may have already been at a level that fell within the spec

much the same thing happened in 2010 with the 1.2.

According to the specifications, the 69BHP FIRE in the 1.2 500 met Euro 5 emissions limits from launch, but only cars from the 2010 model year onward (the ones with the revised suspension) are actually homolgated to Euro 5.

Last edited:
homolgated

Very flash jr I wish i had your vocabulary:

Homologation is a technical term, derived from the Greek homologeo (ὁμολογέω) for "to agree", which is generally used in English to signify the granting of approval by an official authority. This may be a court of law, a government department, or an academic or professional body, any of which would normally work from a set of strict rules or standards to determine whether such approval should be given. The word may be considered very roughly synonymous with accreditation, and in fact in French and Spanish[1] may be used with regard to academic degrees (see apostille). Certification is another possible synonym, while to homologate is the infinitive verb form.
In today's marketplace, for instance, products must often be homologated by some public agency to assure that they meet standards for such things as safety and environmental impact. A court action may also sometimes be homologated by a judicial authority before it can proceed, and the term has a precise legal meaning in the judicial codes of some countries.
The equivalent process of testing and certification for conformance to technical standards is usually known as Type Approval in English-language jurisdictions.
Another usage pertains to the biological sciences, where it may describe the similarities used to assign organisms to the same family or taxon, similarities they have jointly inherited from a common ancestor.:devil::D(y)

I also think homolgation means that before a company can race a particular car, it must build a certain number to sell to the public as well

I can tell you the difference between Euro 5 and Euro 6 as if affects truck diesel engines,which will give an insight

The Euro 5 regs where aimed at the NOX produced by the engine ,this was cleaned either by EGR ,or as the majority or truck manufacturer choose by SCR,which is a liquid injected in to the exhaust stream before the CAT ..The liquid is called AD-BLUE Merc and VW use it in some of their cars

For Euro 6 particulate is what they are trying to reduce ..so instead of just a CAT ,there is also a DPF ,DOC and I have just forgone the 4th part ...For a truck the complete exhaust system is roughly £20.000..( no typo error there )

As previously said ,it is all to do with exhaust emissions

Fiat have a long history of being a couple of emissions standards ahead but the problem with this is that they can only speculate at the entirety of the standard as it can be changed prior to becoming the next required standard.

To put this in perspective each standard has been the requirement for new cars for an average of 4 years, so to be 2 standards ahead you are planning 8 years in advance!

Euro 5 came into force in 2009 (a year late) and for a 500 (under 1305kg) requires a total average emission of 1g CO per km, 0.1g of THC, 0.068g of THMC and 0.06 of NOx. For petrol cars euro 5 and euro 6 are identical, euro 6 only brings new requirements to diesel engined vehicles.

Last edited:
Back