General Is the Abarth definitely getting the Multiair?

Currently reading:
General Is the Abarth definitely getting the Multiair?

FAB

As the title suggests, just wondering if there is a definite confirmation that the standard Abarth is getting the M/air unit? I had read that the GP Abarth was but the 500 not?

Also does anyone have direct comparsion of the fuel figures for the current t-jet vs m/air?

Ta muchley..

It will definitely get it; but when? This summer probably.

If you want a comparison go the the Alfa Forum. People bought the new Mitos, and these were quickly upgraded to the 135 Multiairs, much to the upset of those who had bought the original cars. Understandably.

Most people who have driven the 135 Multiairs confirm their responsiveness and delivery, and put the engine on a par with the 155 original engine.

The stats say the Multiair is fractionally slower; the drivers say the responsiveness is great.

And it uses less petrol (y)

Anyway, all Fiat group engines (petrol) will be Multiar within a year or so, and the Diesels will follow.

Last edited:
Excellent well look forward to seeing it installed, i really fancy one next but don't feel that the current unit is the best if there is one due to replace it in the not too distant future. I have refrained from test driving one on the basis that i known ill want one immediately !! :) I've only read good things about multiair and want this to be a huuge success for fiat.

I remember when the common rail diesel came out and fiat was seen as a revolutionary with those units, i hope the multiairs will have a similar effect.

Excellent well look forward to seeing it installed, i really fancy one next but don't feel that the current unit is the best if there is one due to replace it in the not too distant future. I have refrained from test driving one on the basis that i known ill want one immediately !! :) I've only read good things about multiair and want this to be a huuge success for fiat.

I remember when the common rail diesel came out and fiat was seen as a revolutionary with those units, i hope the multiairs will have a similar effect.

Well I've been worried about selling my lovely 500 and getting the 500 Abarth because of multiair but decided to go with it anyway. Having read the moans on the Abarth forum about the new engine and the news that America will get the multiair 170 bhp version at release I'm not 100% that we will get it until next year. It could even be that we don't get it until 2012. I also don't know if I'm really that bothered. I doubt it'll be cheaper and the only thing I'm really interested in is lower emissions and improved mpg. Neither of which are going to make the current car so unwanted (unlike the changes in suspension/steering now on the 2010 500's).
Dealers seem to say that the engine won't fit into the current 500 (this could easily be dealers just trying to sell current cars, but reading about the American 500 it sounds as though it could well be built on the new Panda platform which will be able to fit the multiair unit as it's also prossibly a larger platform than the current one. The American model is also being built in an entirely new plant nothing to do with the current European one so I doubt Fiat will just shut down a plant when it's running at full capacity making Pandas, KAs, 500c, 500 and Abarth until it needs to change the platform.

I'd be just as worried buying the standard 500 as the new twinair engines with turbos sound as though they are going to revolutionary but again, the 1.2L petrol in the 500 is a great little unit and will still be popular because of it's low emission and running costs even if the twinair is a success. IMO

All this could be total rubbish and I expect Fiat/Abarth to announce the new engine on Monday after I collect my car this weekend :cry:

Don't worry about the new chassis. The American 500 is going to be stronger and lighter than the present one, because it will be made of more advanced steels and alloys. The new Alfa Giulietta has a similar new chassis and is consequently lighter than all its opposition.

The 2011 Panda gets the new chassis, and in this iteration it will be 4" longer, but no wider. Since the 500 and Panda come down the same production line, and since the new chassis is modular, there is an outside possibility that the 500 might get the new one sometime in 2011. I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

As for the engines. Yes, the 85 and 105 twins should be fun. And with zero tax and low consumption they will do well in the 500 and the Panda.
The Multiair head is already fitted to GPs and Mitos, so I can't see why it can't fit in the 500. Dealers talk all sorts of rubbish, and sometimes the truth. But in this case, expect the Abarth to get the Multiar one day...

My suspicion is that there is a shortage of Multiair production and Abarth is not at the top of the list of recipients since most Abarth buyers are not that concerned about fuel consumption; more image and fun.

Hmmmm ulpian I've heard differently, I've heard that the US 500 will basically get a stronger front end which is better in terms of NVH. I doubt it will be measurably lighter

The chassis will apparently be lighter: stronger steels, aluminium bits and more gluing. Whether the strengthening of the front end negates these savings is anybody's guess.

The whole floorpan is being replaced, not just the outriggers. But the body pick-up points appear to be the same, so the body doesn't change.

A more rigid body is likely to be quieter anyway, but I'll guess they'll add more sound deadening too.

That's how I read it anyway.

The chassis will apparently be lighter: stronger steels, aluminium bits and more gluing. Whether the strengthening of the front end negates these savings is anybody's guess.

The whole floorpan is being replaced, not just the outriggers. But the body pick-up points appear to be the same, so the body doesn't change.

A more rigid body is likely to be quieter anyway, but I'll guess they'll add more sound deadening too.

That's how I read it anyway.
Like I said though that would require a rengineer of the already reengineered platform and tbh I just don't see that happening for the meagre benefits it's going to give. The guy I spoke to said it would more likely just be an tweak of the current platform including obviously the newer rear suspension and the upgrades from the new platform on the front.

To the OP, have you considered buying an Abarth now and having a remap? For £290 or thereabouts, you can have 170 BHP with more torque, and obviously more power than the SS model. Also, it would be quicker than a Multiair and possibly just as economical, there is a guy who has his running at 270 to 300 HP, he got 55 MPG on the way home :( very jealous although his mods were quite extreme!

Worth considering?

To the OP, have you considered buying an Abarth now and having a remap? For £290 or thereabouts, you can have 170 BHP with more torque, and obviously more power than the SS model. Also, it would be quicker than a Multiair and possibly just as economical, there is a guy who has his running at 270 to 300 HP, he got 55 MPG on the way home :( very jealous although his mods were quite extreme!

Worth considering?

55 mpg from a 270hp 1.4!! I would buy one now if i could guarantee those sort of returns!

I have considered one now, however have too many cars currently and not really something i should be considering, but i just can't help myself, they are just too darn loveable.:worship:

I was hoping that the prospect of the multiair might be something that would at least curb my enthusiasm for wanting one pronto.;)

RE: The tuning of a current model, then i love the idea that there are companies out there re living the Carlo Abarth dream, but in practicality i wouldnt like to risk the invalidation of the warranty.
(n)

Totally love our 1.2, but the little scorpion tailed devil on my shoulder keeps tempting me... arghhhhhhhh :cry:

Think i will revisit things in 6 months..;)

Back