General 95ron or 97super in an Abarth?

Currently reading:
General 95ron or 97super in an Abarth?

FWD Boy

I asked the salesman while out in the standard Abarth just after filling the car at a local station but by the time we got back and had gone out in a SS we had both totally forgot about it.

So basically what does Fiat recommend, and if 95ron does 97ron make a differance?

Bloke I work with reckoned he had a flat spot on either his Focus ST or something else and reckoned 97ron Shell Optimax sorted it out where as some of the other 97ron's didnt. Opinions on that?

I asked the salesman while out in the standard Abarth just after filling the car at a local station but by the time we got back and had gone out in a SS we had both totally forgot about it.

So basically what does Fiat recommend, and if 95ron does 97ron make a differance?

Bloke I work with reckoned he had a flat spot on either his Focus ST or something else and reckoned 97ron Shell Optimax sorted it out where as some of the other 97ron's didnt. Opinions on that?
If you're just pootling about town 95 will be fine. If you're going out for a proper drive then I'd chuck some good fuel in there.

I guess it cant do any harm (apart from to your wallet) and they do say that the 97rons and 99rons are a cleaner fuel.

Also the same mate said he would get a better mpg off a higher ronned fuel, again I think I take it with a pinch of salt but cant do any harm to try it for a while

I'm sure Fiat recommend 97RON fuel, just about all cars with higher performances need to run on it.

The Golf MKIV GTi needs to, my Clio does, all Japanese cars do.

I would suggest that anyone who can't afford the extra £1.50ish on a small tank that the 500 has on every fill up to get better fuel, can't afford to run the car, and therefore should reconsider which car they run.

It is a turbo charged car therefore running higher RON fuel gives better detonation protection especially if you are thinking on raising the boost level, and many of the higher octane fuels have better detergent additives and keep the engine cleaner.

Like I said a panel filter wont make much differance and at some point I'll most likely change the exhaust from the cat back so even simple breathing mods may see a advantage of running the high ron.

To be honest engine tuning wise I'll probally stick to breathing mods, Ive never done anything more than that on any of my others cars, but this will be my first blow car so we're see lol

With the standard ecu (including SS) would you see a advantage in colder spark plugs or again are we only talking about benifisal on higher boost applications?

Last edited:
It is a turbo charged car therefore running higher RON fuel gives better detonation protection especially if you are thinking on raising the boost level, and many of the higher octane fuels have better detergent additives and keep the engine cleaner.

I will keep this in mind next time I fill up (y)

what about standard 1.4 engines? somewhere in here i remember reading "if the engine has a knock sensor you get better mpg with 97ron fuel", all modern cars do have one right?

what about standard 1.4 engines? somewhere in here i remember reading "if the engine has a knock sensor you get better mpg with 97ron fuel", all modern cars do have one right?

Well now and again I'll for a treat I'll put some in my 1.2. I'm sure it makes a difference, but of course it could just be wishful thinking. Same thing in my 100HP.

I've used shell optimax the last 3 fills and it definitely makes a difference in my 1.2,feels quicker and much better MPG

Have used RON 95 from day 1, only filled up twice with RON 97 as it seems to be a rare thing in Wales... Made no difference to performance or economy as far as i could tell, but cost a lot more. I should imagine the SS runs better on RON 97 though, probably for the same reason the service intervals are slashed form 18,000 miles to just 6,000! :eek:

bigger engined cars are much easier to notice the diference mine makes a huge diference filling in the bottom end tourque nicely and taking any slight flat spots away on my 1.8 bravo

what is required for more power and economy from higher octane fuels is (mapped ignition) and mapped ignition requires a knock sensor howether not all cars fitted with a knock sensor have fully mapped ignition mostly smaller engines like 8v and simple engines

my hitachi ecu has a knock sensor and powerfull pencil coils so mapped ignition for sure
a 1.2 8v punto for example with a single double ended coil grouped on 1and4 2and3 and leads no mapped ignition

the fuel saving will not outweigh the extra cost but is noticeable when not giving it death and the engine seems allot smother but as i say in my case the power increase and drivability is massively diferent engine seems to rev up much more freely on double down shifts and such

for those reasones i'm happy to pay the small extra for it mostly use shell others i have tried don't quite hit the mark shell is definately the best and tesco wont be going in mine i never use supermarket fuel as a rule

one other thing i notice is if i'm forced to use 95 ron again after a run on near 98 99 rons my car preignites from cold as the ignition is still on a come down so it shows it's been adjusted in the mapping

it says "minimum 95 ron" in the manual. i filled the tank up with 97ron today, lets wait and see if the mpg will drop.

Back