Technical Unleaded in a 900e

Currently reading:
Technical Unleaded in a 900e

I recently encountered a big issue with the Fiat 500 engine, which was designed pre-unleaded. All that the additives which I used seemed to have done is create a huge build-up of hard deposits inside the combustion chamber, and a valve seat dropped out after 16,000 miles of hard motoring.
Having successfully fired up Bluebell for the first time in months to get a look at where to continue the restoration, it's making me worry that I will eventually get the same issues on the 900 engine.
I know all the arguments about classic vehicles generally having an easy life and that thrashing them hard is what gives the problems, but it would be reassuring if by a slight chance, my very late (1985) vehicle is suitable for use with unleaded as I do not intend to give it an easy life!:eek:
Does anyone have any documented information or practical experiecne of this please?

Connie came with System 4 Fuel Cat already added when we bought her in 2001, it had been installed 2 years earlier in the tank (so couldn't take it out without removing the tank).
She seemed to run okay on normal unleaded but I also filled up with premium unleaded every third tank to help her out - it was noticeable that she pulled much better on the premium fuel.

I've been looking into the concept of Fuel Catalysers to allow older cars that used to run on leaded to happily run on unleaded. All the positive claims appear to come from the manufacturers but I haven't been able to find any independent evidence to support them. Does anyone out there know of any?

Once Connie goes back on the road it will be minus the System 4. a) I don't like fitting anything that I can't get to and b) as the tank has been dry for several years I don't know what effect it will have had on the System 4 pellets.

One tip that I did pick up on the way... always use fresh petrol. Fuel sitting in the tank loses its octane rating over time. So don't fill up the tank just before laying up for the winter, just leave enough in to keep the fuel lines filled and incase you need to move the car in an emergency.

When you come round to the new season top up with a gallon of fresh petrol and rock the car to mix it up with the old (assuming you don't had too much sediment in the tank). The fresh petrol should help with the starting... along with a fully charged battery.

I don't have the problem with stale fuel as I have taken out the tank whilst restoring and run from a can.:D
I've no faith in any of the concoctions that are supposed to prevent recession. The only thing that can really work is to have valve seat inserts made from a hardened material. I have a spare head somewhere so I will have a look at that to see if it at least has inserts of some type.

hi peter, I have been running my Pandora for last four years on any unleaded from wherever I pull in. To my knowledge nothing was ever adapted. Remembering at the time it was built(1984) that leaded fuel was being phased out, most vehicles at the time merely needed ignition timing retarded by 2degrees to convert to unleaded. I have never arrived my van to check but can say its done 12000 in last four years without issues. Being an alloy head, the fiat has cast iron valve sears which normally harden with age anyway.

Back