General SFC 958X anyone?

Currently reading:
General SFC 958X anyone?

GGX19

Hello there, thought to see if anyone in these parts can help me with a few little queries, as well as possibly helping me find out a little of our newly named ERV, our 35 year old red ray of sunshine recently bought in Kent in early July, now residing with us up here in Sheffield.

First, a few queries I wonder if people can help with:

Tyre pressures, front and rear. Finding it impossible to get Amigo recommended.

Clutch. I know I'll be nursing it until it gives up the ghost, having had it fully adjusted and there's not a lot left. Is it specific to the 900e, or is it compatible with the likes of the 127? And is it a pig to fit, involving engine out?

Oil / plugs. Any specific recommendations through experience? Many thanks for any help out there.

Lastly, am keen to hear if anyone's got any info on the camper itself... I know it's 35 years old, has a ridiculous 35000 miles on the speedo ( or has it been round once), and had body restoration in 2013 I believe. Bought the van from a very nice bloke down in Kent, (Adrian), who I think brought it up from Devon. But has anyone come across this van through the years? - good or bad?

Main thing is we love it, our little soon to be 2 yr old Eva loves it ( EVA'S RED VAN!), and we hope to have fun with it over the next few years.

What a vehicle the Amigo is! Cheers. Glenn.

Attachments

• WP_20160804_20_48_36_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160804_20_48_36_Pro.jpg
    454.6 KB · Views: 33
  • WP_20160717_16_18_08_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160717_16_18_08_Pro.jpg
    683.1 KB · Views: 30
  • WP_20160709_11_43_34_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160709_11_43_34_Pro.jpg
    521.3 KB · Views: 26
Hi Glenn,

wonderful Amigo you have!

I can give you more info if you want. I restored mine completely and drove it to Italy last month (2 adults and 3 child's). Love to drive it, its usable, but Italy is very very far...

Yes, mine had just 32000 km on the speedo, but... needed a complete engine overhaul. I upgraded it to 850 sport specs (54 hp vs 37).

Tyre pressure:
normal: front 1,8 bar, rear 2,5 bar
fully loaded: front 2,0 bar, rear 2,8 bar

Oil: I use Millers Classic 20W50

Plugs: I used Champion N9YC, good coffee brown residu after 2600 km's, but in the Alps my engine was slightly knocking. Maybe under full load with this conditions you need to use a colder plug type.

Fuel: Use 98/100 octane, no 95 please.

The clutch is the same as a regular Fiat 850. The easiest way is to get the whole engine out. Thats easy, 3 bolts, 4 hours work...

Your Eva can easily sleep in the roof, but please make a sort of rack from wood, etc. My son fell off once, nothing serious happened but I was lying underneath....

Do you have the optional portatent?

regards,
Bart

Hello Bart, great to hear back from you and thanks for all the advice. I certainly wasn't aware of the 98 octane advice and will remember that from here on in... Sounds like much fun driving to Italy - but you must have been a little tight on space! I'm a sad man for loving Fiats: also have a fast approaching 30 year old X1/9 which I drove 'home' over the Alps to Turin, staying at the NH Lingotto and parking it right outside the main doors for a couple of days. No plans for the Amigo to follow it's footsteps, though look forward to plenty of days out and domestic trips.
Yours looks a real corker, and obviously in fine shape in the engine department. Love the idea of your upgrade, perhaps that's one for the future for me. I don't have the portatent unfortunately, though did recently buy a tent porch that am sure will do a decent job - though worry a little that it will dwarf the van itself. The van though is all original inside and everything seems to work.
Somebody I met in a car park told me to look to Ricambio In Holland for parts, as they can be so expensive here. Is that something you're aware of?
Will sign off for now, but thanks again for all the advice. Cheers. Glenn.

Back