General Rocky the Spacemaker!

Currently reading:
General Rocky the Spacemaker!

Balmy

Named by my brother cause it's small and Italian!
So I bought thus earlier this year and have now got door repair panels and rear corners. Otherwise it's remarkably solid though have unearthed some bodge work underneath. Fortunatly my brother is an exceptional welder and owes me more than a few favours..... :) Work has now started and I'd like it completely refurbed and on the road next year. But I know how these things go......
I'll update when I can with photos. Heres one from when I bought it.
I'm starting to sort out the mechanicals. Already found some bodged repairs.
Are Ricambio the only source in the uk for bits? Need a fuel pump and exhaust manifold / pipe. I think 850 will fit so can I fit this does anyone know?

http://www.ebay.it/itm/Marmitta-Spo...894716?hash=item3f670dc2bc:g:0EoAAOSwbsBXjQcM

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 47
I like it...very jealous that you have such an "easy":eek: job ahead of you in comparison with mine..;)
Rocky looks the nearest to my Bluebell in external spec. of any I have seen. The water fill, electric point and roof-catches and handles are all the same and in the same places. Mine has an elongated peak over the cab from the fibreglass roof.
Please keep updates coming and PLEASE show some detailed internal images as mine had been messed with and really, I'll be starting from scratch.

It's not too bad but planning on doing it to a good useable standard.
The worse bits are the rear corners, door bottoms and guttering/roof.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 31
Bit holey around the front wheel and discovered some bad repairs. Bits of metal covering holes stuck on with resin

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 28
And the back of the wheel. Why go to the trouble of fitting new sills then bodge on bits of metal to hide other rot?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
Some interesting photos there. The interior looks really acceptable...lots of Amigos have a dated look that I don't like. I like the pale colour-scheme.
The bodywork issues are very familiar to me as are the bodged repairs. But I think it's obvious that when originally passed from owner to owner (I think I'm the 17th!), I guess that just getting to the next MOT was all that people were concerned about. Our generation of owners are self-selected to have the skill or means to sort it all out.

I think that Rocky might , unfortunately, have a few more brown bits to reveaal, but he'll never have such dirty undergarments as Bluebell has/had.:D

Hi Balmy,

I am also in Gods very own County of Devon over in Exmouth. I have an 850t. Regarding parts I would check Ebay particularly the Italian version :)

Cheers Adam

New fuel pump and exhaust fitted. The previous guy had 'fitted' an electric pump. Badly. It wasn't even a proper petrol pump and it leaked, rubbed on the fan belt and the earth wire arced beautifully...........

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 31
The exhaust is a four into two I bought from Italy. Bit fiddly to fit but sounds awesome!
Deep and throaty but not too loud!
The previous manifold and exhaust had been welded up several times and where both blowing.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 24
Nice work. I had a struggle with that exhaust too. Had to reweld the two pipes on the muffler... Bad fitting. Be aware that the exhaust is completely free from th sump (mine wasnt) . also refit the baffles, the shield above the exhaust too. Otherwise you get vapourlock in your fuel pump. I drove mine fully loaded in the Alps and never had heating issues, but everything must be correct! Whats the blue line/hose on the left?

Hi Peter,

Not enough really. A couple of overnight trips locally. Need to replace the seating at the front and make her more comfortable. Do you use the 500 much whilst you are grappling with the restoration?

Adam

The blue hose is the pipe to the sink from the water pump. All needs replacing.

Treaclehunter-maybe I'll have to meet up sometime-love to see another van-only seen a couple in the 'flesh' apart from mine.

Last edited:
Hi Balmy, that would be great. Would be great to see another van locally. Maybe a meet on Haldon or something half way :)

Back