Technical 900t Brakes Upgrade

Currently reading:
Technical 900t Brakes Upgrade

Gary50

Established member
Hi

I'm just embarking on the restoration of our 1978 900t Amigo camper. I'll start a separate thread to cover the progress in due course.

However, my big concern is that after going to the time and expense of restoring her I don't want to be left with the 'suicide' drum brakes - had a few near misses when she was on the road previously.

I know that it is possible to upgrade to front discs (from a 900E) but these are just as rare and I wouldn't want to cannibalise a runner (if I could find one).

Has anyone upgraded the brakes to something more modern?
And if yes what and how?

I'm guessing that there should be something in the Fiat parts bin from the 1980's that would do the job?

Thanks

I'm dying to see pictures Gary. I just bought a 900E and from the little information I have gleaned so far it looks like the disc brake components are largely the same as a Panda. I have seen somewhere that the discs are a bit different and I don't know how the calipers are fixed on but i can take a photo.

I have load of panels arriving from Italy on Monday including all the side doors, sills and other panels.

To be honest the stopping capability of the drums isn't too bad when set up properly - a brake booster would help here - a quick Google search throws up loads of aftermarket options.

However, the main problem is not the stopping it's keeping the brakes in balance. The drums are all manual adjusters and I have to re-balance them every 1500 to 2000 miles - sometimes as little as 500 miles!

If I don't do this the brakes either pull to one side or worse lurch from left to right as each brake comes on line - very disconcerting and I've nearly ended up in a ditch more than once.

Hi

The brake shoes were fine.

The problem was that once you had set the brakes up they worked okay for a few hundred miles and then went seriously out of balance - this wasn't a gradual thing, more as if something had broken.

Basically one side would come on and then the other would suddenly snatch causing the van to lurch to one side or the other. The problem wasn't consistent and you had no way of predicting which side would be affected.

At first I thought it may have been an excess of brake dust or a sticking brake cylinder so I stripped both sides down and replaced the cylinders and shoes and gave everything a good clean but the problem still persisted.

As it happens I've managed to get hold of a set of 850 Spider front disc assemblies & stub axles. They need a full overhaul but should swap out the old drums - hopefully bolt off / bolt on. (Wishful thinking - nothing is that easy on an old Fiat.)

I will also be upgrading to split circuit brakes, new master cylinder & all new pipes. I've seen a diagram online showing the revised brake circuit a while back but have lost the bookmark so need to go hunting for it. The new/larger master cylinder should also provide the extra fluid volume to make the disc callipers happy.

The front & rear dampers need replacing, one is leaking and 2 are seized - the springs seem okay. I'm thinking about adjustable shocks so I can play around with the damping but as I need to switch to larger rims to accommodate the discs and use lower profile tyres to keep the clearances and speedo okay this may be just enough to take enough of the softness out of the ride.

All a job for next year when the re-assembly starts in earnest.

I've found oddments dotted around the Web and need to piece everything together. As part of the rebuild all the brake pipes need replacing (completely rotten), along with the brake overhaul/upgrade.
I'm hoping to make a start on the brakes towards the end of March - I will photograph and share once figured out.

Hi Gary

1979 900t brake disc conversion

Yes our brakes were awful so a disc conversion was the only way to go for me.

we have the dual system master cylinder so a split system.

we used

Fiat 124 caliper mount to upright, the 4 bolt holes are exactly the same layout so a perfect fit, it has the four bolt holes to mount on the 900t upright and the two bolt holes to bolt the caliper mount to.

you may need to space the caliper mount out slightly

either fiat 124/x1/9 or 850 coupe/spider calipers and mounts, which ever option of calipers you use you have to use the respective discs. we used a complete fiat 128 set but fitted quality mintex pads.

I think cinquecento/seicento caliper disc arrangements would work if you use the whole arrangement

the brake hose will fit straight on to the caliper but you will need to fit the anti loosen steel clamp/strap thing.

the main issue you will have is that the wheel bearing hub assembly is too big to fit inside the disc so you will have to machine this down slightly 3/4 mm all round to allow it to slide inside the disc.

we now have perfectly balanced brakes with a pedal that provides braking within 1/2 inch of movement, the only problem being i will have to change all the cupboard latches as they keep coming open when i brake.

this arrangement uses entirely Fiat parts that have been quality/structurally tested

Our 13 inch fiat 131 mirafiori sport wheels fit over them fine.

I hope this helps but please do get your arrangement checked by an MOT type brake tester before committing to a journey.

Have fun

Tim

Hi Tim

Thanks for the information, I had spotted something similar discussed on the web ages ago but the link is long dead so unable to find the references.
One question, the duel system master cylinder, is that standard... Connie is 1978 and only has single circuit brakes or at least that's what it looks like until I have a proper dig. Either way, all the brake lines need replacing as badly corroded everywhere.

Hi Gary

I think it is originally a dual, Am i correct in thinking that if the dashboard is fitted with the brake check button then the van is fitted with a dual system.

If a vehicle has a single system then there would be no need for the button and warning light.

the very end of our master cylinder is just behind the front panel joint by a few millimeters where as i think the single cylinder vehicles it is set back slightly further.

Tim

Hi Tim
Interesting note about the button & warning light - ours has that.
I must admit I'd assumed that Connie was single circuit brakes with a bit of luck she will have a dual system. I'll soon find out once I start pulling out the old pipes, they all need replacing.
(I've been keeping a watch on Frost.co.uk and picking up the tools as they come on offer.)

Hi Gary

I think out twin system has two brake pipes going to the rear totalling four outputs whereas the single system only has one to the rear giving a total of three.
So you may need to fit two full new ones to the rear.

Tim

Bart, who posts here sometimes put some useful information about this on Facebook. The dual circuit cylinders can be found but are really expensive. Apparently there is a larger, commercial Iveco van that uses a more easily obtainable master cylinder which does the job.

Back