What's made you smile today?

Currently reading:
What's made you smile today?

20240613_140450.jpg
Zoom in on the hovering helicopter. It is both interesting and scarey. It was doing some sort of HV cable survey they have been moving along the wire slowly for days. Its been fun watching the pilots great skill. Do zoom in on tge rotor though. Its not fixed I promise.

. Do zoom in on tge rotor though. Its not fixed I promise.
I’ve noticed them buzzing round here as well, were only a mile or two from the main power cable going into Norwich which they have been recently upgrading.

The helicopter rotor picture is an artefact of the way cameras take pictures by capturing each pixel one after another, it happens super fast on digital cameras and as it scans left to right top to bottom it causes weird distortion in very fast moving objects like propellers. See below

IMG_3595.jpeg

Look at the bird thats buzzing the heli! RedKite I think. Or if its distortion its really weird. Odd indeed as much as your photo. I learned something new.
Please no pics of me moving fast!! Or may be I would look thin!

They had moved on a couple of miles, may be three maxc since yesterday. May be its something to do with the new substation over Swaffham way.

Last edited:
About the same time I broke my ankle, our neighbor, Lisa, suffered a stroke. She was visiting her daughter during a 'girls weekend' at college, 200 miles away when it happened. As one can imagine, the recovery has been a bitch, though both her children came home from college and are pitching in with their Dad, Steve. There is also a visiting nurse everyday to help with Lisa's rehab.
So, this morning when I let Busterdog out for his early morning poop, Steve wheeled Lisa out on their deck to soak up some sun before the temp spikes. Lisa waved to me and shouted "hello". Steve told me she just regained the use of her arm this week and her speech is improving every day. Her speech, so much so, that she has been swearing at her iPad again. ;)

About the same time I broke my ankle, our neighbor, Lisa, suffered a stroke. She was visiting her daughter during a 'girls weekend' at college, 200 miles away when it happened. As one can imagine, the recovery has been a bitch, though both her children came home from college and are pitching in with their Dad, Steve. There is also a visiting nurse everyday to help with Lisa's rehab.
So, this morning when I let Busterdog out for his early morning poop, Steve wheeled Lisa out on their deck to soak up some sun before the temp spikes. Lisa waved to me and shouted "hello". Steve told me she just regained the use of her arm this week and her speech is improving every day. Her speech, so much so, that she has been swearing at her iPad again. ;)
Stroke recovery is so unpredictable isn't it? Some do very well and other's not so much. My youngest boy's wife's best friend's husband (did you get that?) had a serious stroke a couple of years ago and he only just managed to get down their stairs unaided for the first time a couple of weeks ago. They're very worried as it's not looking like he'll ever work again and they have a young family just like my boy. Life's a lottery eh?

Yep I get these regularly as well, cruises departing from Norwich…. We have a river but it’s a bit narrow for a cruise ship and a few low bridges that the local pleasure cruisers can struggle with at times.

Then there is “unsold” cars… laptops…,. Phones etc etc all being offered all from Norwich, basically the ad reads your IP address which gives a rough location and then tags that location to the ad, my ip jumps around sometimes so occasionally I get ads that list, Birmingham, Brighton or other random places.

I get that too - a favourite being..
"Residents of The Rock" ,

I heard DwayneJohnson was big..

Or are they calling me a Gibbon..? 🤔

My Aunt had a stroke around that time. She is now 90. Shes been struggling, but is very slowly getting more mobile. As Jock said its a lottery. My best friend at scool 60 years ago, his mum had a massive stroke and she was aged under 40. It took her years to become more normal. Why these things are such a lottery and stike young people is unknown. Thank heaven they understand rehab much more now and chances of a good result are better. Any rate I hope all the ailments mend. People..... worse than cars and thats saying something.

Last edited:
My daughter dropped in from Manchester for Fathers Day and my birthday tomorrow. AT LAST!!! She has decided to give us our Seat Leon back. (after 12 years) Shes going to have Ruby our 2014 Panda. Trouble is the realisation I need to retreat its sump and axle, and, change the cambelt as its 5 years old in August.

Now, I must persuade the Mrs that we need to buy the 2013 Panda in a local garage with 17K on the clock. Other than a scratched wheel it looks and drives like a new car. Anyone interested in a 22 year old Leon 1.4S? Before I advertise it for spares. New brake lines,and rear calipers. Full working order. Might suit someone who wants a car for a new driver for 6 months.... apart from the 2 Landsail Tyres. And on that score. OK you all said it.... They are crap. The wear rate is bad and they shine as the rubber is so poor and grip less. Its scrubbed the outsides off the fronts in a year or 18 months and she said she aquaplaned coming home. Its never done that before

As soon as possible I shall retrieve the thing and assess its future. Im hoping If I MOT it, it will be worth £100 to someone. Anyone know what it might fetch for scrap?

Thank heaven they understand rehab much more now and chances of a good result are better. Any rate I hope all the ailments mend. People..... worse than cars and thats saying something.
Aye, they do understand a lot more about it but the big thing is to tackle it quickly so, if you suspect a stroke the faster the person gets to hospital or receives professional medical help the better. Which, with the present state of our emergency services, is a bit of a depressing thought.

Aye, they do understand a lot more about it but the big thing is to tackle it quickly so, if you suspect a stroke the faster the person gets to hospital or receives professional medical help the better. Which, with the present state of our emergency services, is a bit of a depressing thought.
What is it they say? "Death is natures way of telling you to slow down".;)
I thought I was reasonably healthy, but less so after two endoscopy hospital visits.:(

What is it they say? "Death is natures way of telling you to slow down".;)
I thought I was reasonably healthy, but less so after two endoscopy hospital visits.:(
Two, ha ha we all know what that means. Yes Ive suffered the benefits but nothing untoward seen so all good fun. I hope thats you too. As they say I bet that made your eyes water....

Happily from the inlet and not the outlet;)
Not had one down the intake port yet but twice had biopsies of prostate through the exhaust system - not at all pleasant! So far they're only reporting "cell changes observed" but no actual cancer. So my watch and wait regime continues. My own doc cheerfully informed me at my last assessment that I'd "probably die from something else before the prostate gets me" He's a chap who "tells it like it is" or "calls a spade a spade" and I quite like that.

Tomorrow is a "swimming with grandchildren" day and daughter in law's just been on the phone to ask if, with Mrs J being away at her sister, do I still want to take them? Hell yes, I can do that. Oh that's great she said (probably because now she won't have to find someone to look after them until she gets home from work?) My wee granddaughter is 11 so can sort herself out regards getting changed etc but the wee lad is just 4 so I'll have to dry him and probably help with some of his clothes. I've had 3 kids of my own though so sure I'll manage even if I am a bit out of practice.

The conversation didn't end there though. Apparently my granddaughter has been attending a "preparation for bereavement" class at school - might have guessed as, out of the blue, sitting on their sofa with her recently, she came out with "Granddad, I'll be really sad when you die", before turning back to her tablet looking at videos of girls making their own bangles and jewelry. - Anyway, daughter in law went on to tell me about the course and then went on to say, "it's the last day of this course tomorrow and she (grandaughter) has been asked to bring an adult relative with her as there's going to be refreshments. Apparently she (granddaughter) immediately said "can Granddad come with me"? Of course I'll go, but I'm wondering what I may be letting myself in for? Going to be a long day I think.

Tomorrow is a "swimming with grandchildren" day and daughter in law's just been on the phone to ask if, with Mrs J being away at her sister, do I still want to take them? Hell yes, I can do that. Oh that's great she said (probably because now she won't have to find someone to look after them until she gets home from work?) My wee granddaughter is 11 so can sort herself out regards getting changed etc but the wee lad is just 4 so I'll have to dry him and probably help with some of his clothes. I've had 3 kids of my own though so sure I'll manage even if I am a bit out of practice.

The conversation didn't end there though. Apparently my granddaughter has been attending a "preparation for bereavement" class at school - might have guessed as, out of the blue, sitting on their sofa with her recently, she came out with "Granddad, I'll be really sad when you die", before turning back to her tablet looking at videos of girls making their own bangles and jewelry. - Anyway, daughter in law went on to tell me about the course and then went on to say, "it's the last day of this course tomorrow and she (grandaughter) has been asked to bring an adult relative with her as there's going to be refreshments. Apparently she (granddaughter) immediately said "can Granddad come with me"? Of course I'll go, but I'm wondering what I may be letting myself in for? Going to be a long day I think.
Ha,ha. No filter with young children, it's only as they get older some learn to "dissemble" :)

Back