Technical Starter motor noise

Currently reading:
Technical Starter motor noise

Foxy100

The starter motor (1967 500) suddenly started making a sort of loud screetchy whine noise the other day, with associated lack of oomph to start the car. The first couple of times it was ok, and it had done enough miles to get some good charge in the battery (if everything was working well) but the third time it made the noise there wasn't any power. The car has only recently moved to Hampshire from sunny Teddington and never previously been driven more than a couple of miles at a time. It started ok with a booster pack attached, albeit with the noise still. We put in a new battery and gave that a charge (I guess it had been sitting on Halfords' shelf for some time) and while the car now starts, the noise is still there, just not as bad.

Can anyone think what might be causing it please? Or know of a decent mechanic near Winchester who could have a look?

The starter motor (1967 500) suddenly started making a sort of loud screetchy whine noise the other day, with associated lack of oomph to start the car. The first couple of times it was ok, and it had done enough miles to get some good charge in the battery (if everything was working well) but the third time it made the noise there wasn't any power. The car has only recently moved to Hampshire from sunny Teddington and never previously been driven more than a couple of miles at a time. It started ok with a booster pack attached, albeit with the noise still. We put in a new battery and gave that a charge (I guess it had been sitting on Halfords' shelf for some time) and while the car now starts, the noise is still there, just not as bad.

Can anyone think what might be causing it please? Or know of a decent mechanic near Winchester who could have a look?
A thought is that the bendix on the starter is not engaging properly with the ring-gear on the flywheel. Th starter needs to be taken off and the bendix examined (and possibly replaced) The teeth on the starter ring also needs to be carefully checked, and if damaged, the flywheel will need to be renewed---an engine out job. Another cause of the noise is if the cable from the starter pull-lever has stretched and isn't pulling the bendix fully into the ring-gear before it spins. As for a competent mechanic in your area---sorry, I live in North Wales (just---wife's bright idea!)

A thought is that the bendix on the starter is not engaging properly with the ring-gear on the flywheel. Th starter needs to be taken off and the bendix examined (and possibly replaced) The teeth on the starter ring also needs to be carefully checked, and if damaged, the flywheel will need to be renewed---an engine out job. Another cause of the noise is if the cable from the starter pull-lever has stretched and isn't pulling the bendix fully into the ring-gear before it spins. As for a competent mechanic in your area---sorry, I live in North Wales (just---wife's bright idea!)
Thank you, some good suggestions to be going on with

A thought - would the bendix not engaging or the cable stretching be responsible for the lack of power to turn the starter properly? I appreciate it could just be coincidence!

Are you running with the original 499cc engine?
Could be that the starter is a little tired but not yet completely packed up. The carbon brushes do not last forever and if the bronze bearings are worn that can add to the partial failure. I wrote a thread on here last year about restoring your starter which you can research.

Are you running with the original 499cc engine?
Could be that the starter is a little tired but not yet completely packed up. The carbon brushes do not last forever and if the bronze bearings are worn that can add to the partial failure. I wrote a thread on here last year about restoring your starter which you can research.
Yes, and the starter was replaced relatively recently.

Back