General Purchasing a ducato motorhome

Currently reading:
General Purchasing a ducato motorhome

Stewartp

Hi, I'm new to fiat, and the forum.
Thinking of purchasing a 2019 motorhome with 40,000 km on the clock, any suggestions on what I should be looking for.
Thanks in advance

Confortmatic is fiats name for automatic transmission/ automated manual.

Is it described as automatic?

@Fredastaire

Please give op idea about twin egr problems

I've worked out what twin egr is
I'm thinking of declining purchasing the vehicle

Confortmatic can need replacement clutch at 50,000kms
Which is far more expensive than a normal clutch because it has to have some parts only available from FIAT.
Very few mechanics will take on the job.
Even fewer of those that will take on the job have the computer gear to reset the system to learn the new clutch.....

Plus twin egr problems

Do not buy it

@Stewartp , first comment I own one of these spec Ducatos and have had it from brand new, I'm on 35,000 miles.
Conclusion first, do you need Euro 6 emissions for your country/ cities to visit? If no then go searching for a Euro 5 emissions which will be mid 2016 at the newest (I think the year is correct).
If you need auto then read up on Automatic basic technology. There are old fashioned autos wth zf made gearboxes that use a torque converter.
The above questions might lead you to a Mercedes Benz Auto (I think).
Back to your original van you are looking at.
The engine is Iveco, the spec to meet Euro 6 was achieved with two EGRs. It is thought that Fiat original software caused crazy temperatures on DPF Regen, this could cause the DPF element to crack and let soot through. This soot then gets sucked in to the LP EGR cooler and blocks it. Somewhere down the line injectors can get burnt out. Members on here have needed major components changed resulting in repair bills of £10,000 at dealers.
There are many of these twin EGR non Adblue Ducatos with latest software doing thousands of miles fault free. Some of us have been caught out with engine damage.
The comfortmatic is a standard Ducato 150/ 180 manual box, the clutch is also standard 150. The whole caboodle is then supplemented with servo drives and ECU control electronics.
The problem (I think) is that owners don't understand that a hidden robot is operating the clutch. If at a hill junction you use engine revs to hold the van on a hill you are effectively slipping the clutch thus wearing it out. Knowing it's a standard clutch I put the handbrake on and put it in neutral till the time comes to drive away.
I've been through the blocked cooler saga and at low cost had it changed. I'm aware of needing to check and top up the comfortmatic servo oil level and regular change the clutch fluid.
Whereas I'm a long term owner understanding the implications; if you are not technical then perhaps you may be better to buy a Euro 5 merc with a torque converter auto box.
Anything I've said above clearly is my own opinions and thinking.
If you are still thinking of this van, take some kitchen paper towel and wipe out the inside of the exhaust tailpipe, it should come away nearly clean. If it comes away sooty then walk away as it suggests the DPF is cracked, (current component cost is circa £3,500 plus vat plus fitting).
Hope this helps.

@Stewartp , first comment I own one of these spec Ducatos and have had it from brand new, I'm on 35,000 miles.
Conclusion first, do you need Euro 6 emissions for your country/ cities to visit? If no then go searching for a Euro 5 emissions which will be mid 2016 at the newest (I think the year is correct).
If you need auto then read up on Automatic basic technology. There are old fashioned autos wth zf made gearboxes that use a torque converter.
The above questions might lead you to a Mercedes Benz Auto (I think).
Back to your original van you are looking at.
The engine is Iveco, the spec to meet Euro 6 was achieved with two EGRs. It is thought that Fiat original software caused crazy temperatures on DPF Regen, this could cause the DPF element to crack and let soot through. This soot then gets sucked in to the LP EGR cooler and blocks it. Somewhere down the line injectors can get burnt out. Members on here have needed major components changed resulting in repair bills of £10,000 at dealers.
There are many of these twin EGR non Adblue Ducatos with latest software doing thousands of miles fault free. Some of us have been caught out with engine damage.
The comfortmatic is a standard Ducato 150/ 180 manual box, the clutch is also standard 150. The whole caboodle is then supplemented with servo drives and ECU control electronics.
The problem (I think) is that owners don't understand that a hidden robot is operating the clutch. If at a hill junction you use engine revs to hold the van on a hill you are effectively slipping the clutch thus wearing it out. Knowing it's a standard clutch I put the handbrake on and put it in neutral till the time comes to drive away.
I've been through the blocked cooler saga and at low cost had it changed. I'm aware of needing to check and top up the comfortmatic servo oil level and regular change the clutch fluid.
Whereas I'm a long term owner understanding the implications; if you are not technical then perhaps you may be better to buy a Euro 5 merc with a torque converter auto box.
Anything I've said above clearly is my own opinions and thinking.
If you are still thinking of this van, take some kitchen paper towel and wipe out the inside of the exhaust tailpipe, it should come away nearly clean. If it comes away sooty then walk away as it suggests the DPF is cracked, (current component cost is circa £3,500 plus vat plus fitting).
Hope this helps.
Thankyou very much for the information,
I am technical, ex electronics and computer technician, I'm restoring a mini cooper S, but sixties technology is very different to current technology.
We currently do not need euro 6 in australia but it's coming for new cars.
I'll decline the purchase as Fiat dealers are few and far between here, and not all will work on motorhomes .The thought of being stuck in with an undrivable vehicle hundreds of km from assistance isn't pleasant.
I'll stick to our Pajero Sport and caravan, while I look into an earlier model as you suggest.
You're information has been invaluable, and much appreciated.

RGDS Stewart

Thankyou very much for the information,
I am technical, ex electronics and computer technician, I'm restoring a mini cooper S, but sixties technology is very different to current technology.
We currently do not need euro 6 in australia but it's coming for new cars.
I'll decline the purchase as Fiat dealers are few and far between here, and not all will work on motorhomes .The thought of being stuck in with an undrivable vehicle hundreds of km from assistance isn't pleasant.
I'll stick to our Pajero Sport and caravan, while I look into an earlier model as you suggest.
You're information has been invaluable, and much appreciated.

RGDS Stewart
Thanks guys, think you saved me from possibly making a big error, I rang the vendor, he reacted badly " I don't want to hear about this" and rudely hung up on me.
We'll keep looking, bearing in mind you advice.

Confortmatic can need replacement clutch at 50,000kms
Which is far more expensive than a normal clutch because it has to have some parts only available from FIAT.
Very few mechanics will take on the job.
Even fewer of those that will take on the job have the computer gear to reset the system to learn the new clutch.....

Plus twin egr problems

Do not buy it
Thankyou see my replies to Fredastaire

Back