Technical Front fogs, proxy alignment?

Currently reading:
Technical Front fogs, proxy alignment?

shaun200765

Quick query please, goodness knows if anyone knows the answer to this one? Deep breath..I'm looking to use the relayed output from my cars front fogs feed for a different project (all revealed soon if/when it works).
I bought a second hand lights control panel from Ebay, used the solder on surface mount momentary switch and resistor from that to populate the panel from mine. The blank button has two plastic webs that you need to cut in order for the button to work as it should. So far so good, with the side lights on the led front fogs indicator lights up on dash when pressed with side/main lights on.
The engine bay fuse/relay box next, R14 is for front fogs, rear demist relay liberated for this, identical fit. But no operation, every fuse is there that's appropriate and ive measured a 12v feed from ign live. Query is, my car was never fitted with front fogs from the factory, does anyone know if it needs to be enabled as a proxy alignment please? My eternal gratitude for any help 🙂

Quick query please, goodness knows if anyone knows the answer to this one? Deep breath..I'm looking to use the relayed output from my cars front fogs feed for a different project (all revealed soon if/when it works).
I bought a second hand lights control panel from Ebay, used the solder on surface mount momentary switch and resistor from that to populate the panel from mine. The blank button has two plastic webs that you need to cut in order for the button to work as it should. So far so good, with the side lights on the led front fogs indicator lights up on dash when pressed with side/main lights on.
The engine bay fuse/relay box next, R14 is for front fogs, rear demist relay liberated for this, identical fit. But no operation, every fuse is there that's appropriate and ive measured a 12v feed from ign live. Query is, my car was never fitted with front fogs from the factory, does anyone know if it needs to be enabled as a proxy alignment please? My eternal gratitude for any help 🙂
Are you saying the dash fog LED is being turned successfully after connecting the momentary switch to the body computer? Have you added the relay trigger wire to the body computer?

Last edited:
Are you saying the dash fog LED is being turned successfully after connecting the momentary switch to the body computer? Have you added the relay trigger wire to the body computer?
Thank you for replying, led in dash definitely comes on, no more than that I'm afraid. I'm not aware of any trigger wire, certainly not fitted one 🙂 The light switches pcb has a pair of multi plugs, that's all I can tell you I'm afraid.

you are dealing with multiple wiring looms. The dash loom will carry the pulse of the momentary switch to the body computer, which turns on the dash light and sends the signal to the relay to turn on the fog lights.

If the wiring loom is not present in the engine bay. There is a loom for the fog lights that is part of the lighting loom for the front of the car, while the connections maybe present in the fuse box, it does not mean there are any wires attached on the other side of it.

I was very lucky with my Mk2b as I had all the wiring in place for the front fog lights, on a car that was never meant to have them, so I just plugged in some lights, changed the switch panel on the dash and everything worked. In your car I suspect the wiring loom is not present under the bonnet.
No Proxy alignment needed on a Mk2 or mk2b

you are dealing with multiple wiring looms. The dash loom will carry the pulse of the momentary switch to the body computer, which turns on the dash light and sends the signal to the relay to turn on the fog lights.

If the wiring loom is not present in the engine bay. There is a loom for the fog lights that is part of the lighting loom for the front of the car, while the connections maybe present in the fuse box, it does not mean there are any wires attached on the other side of it.

I was very lucky with my Mk2b as I had all the wiring in place for the front fog lights, on a car that was never meant to have them, so I just plugged in some lights, changed the switch panel on the dash and everything worked. In your car I suspect the wiring loom is not present under the bonnet.
Thank you for your interest and reply 🙂 Your advice is very helpful and appreciated, yesterday I opened up the auxiliary relay/fuse box and as best as I could I verified that the wiring is all there. There is 12v present at one side of the relay coil and one side of the relay contacts, presumably its ground-switched when it works.
The only thing I did notice was, the wiring diagram I have shows the fog light feed both sides as a purple wire but no such colour in my loom. I think it could be pink. A case of beer to anyone for a print from Autodata 😃

You where right Andy, missing loom/missing pins in relay/fuse box connectors. I've gone about it a different way now but thank you.

Back