Technical strada 1.2 rough idle - engine shudder at high revs

Currently reading:
Technical strada 1.2 rough idle - engine shudder at high revs

Markpretorius08

hi all! new to this forum so forgive me if I'm doing it wrong.
so. I bought a fiat strada for my work, high mileage 250k but hey she got there so why not 250k more? problem comes now, I took it home and without hesitation did a major service. I didn't take notice of the engines running. but she seems to idle very rough, almost spluttering. at high revs such as changing lanes and downshifting, it shudders and makes a very harsh mechanical noise, and occasionally only when hot, when I come to stop she starts to hunt revs between 1500 and 2200 for around 15 seconds. any ideas? I've found the common questions to be of these: throttle position sensor, map sensor, crank sensor and possibly the idle control valve... another thing that I feel maybe I missed a tooth when I changed the timing belt? I've checked the injectors as that would be my first guess. they're good. any ideas before I start buying?
could any one possibly tell me were the obd2 port is? its not where they say it is and I'm starting to think it doesn't have one.. any one had similar faults and found solutions id be so happy to know how!
thanks peeps

Welcome at FiatForum.

If you did replace the timing belt, and it ran OK before, you more than likely missed one ( ore more..) teeth...

Fiat changed from 3 port OBD to 16 port OBD II around 2003-2004 on the 178 series ( Palio-Siena-Strada, etc)
Your 3 port OBD is 99% sure under the hood, above the brake booster ( on lhd cars....) and it takes a special Fiat tool to read it...

Last edited:
thank you very much for your advise, much appreciated. I checked the timing again and it was where it needed to be... also found the obd underneath the ecu, turned out to be a 3 port, a friend had the adaptor and we ran a scan but came back with no faults other than the components we interfered with to test. my friend seems to insist I change the throttle body but I cant see how that can be of fault, I'm leaning toward crank sensor or map

Back