Technical No connection to ECU

Currently reading:
Technical No connection to ECU

Did you try changing the settings on your interface in mes?

I'd definitely do this before trying to but other connectors as it can be very picky regarding speeds and such
Yes I did. Went through all available speeds. No difference at all.

Thanks for your reply.

I suspect you're heartily sick of this ;) but I'm now back home and can do a bit more checking.

As I said up-thread, there are two entries for the X/250 3.0 in MultiEcuscan, pre- and post- facelift. That face lift happened c2011 so, depending on how long it took to convert, yours could be either.

From the "supported vehicles" section of MES, it is apparent that there are significant Canbus and module connectivity differences between the two. In a post above, you've confirmed you've used the "non-facelift" entry in MES, but, the scan results seem to indicate that it is in fact a "facelift" version (or at least MES has identified it as such - running in simulation mode here, the "FL" on the Body Computer definition in your scan results is associated with the "facelift" entry point, not the one you've said you used).

It's all far from definitive, (and still looks like a more basic connectivity issue) but it would be sensible to eliminate possibilities.

I'd suggest you do a further F11 scan under the "Ducato (type 250) Facelift 3.0 Multijet" entry point, and also, under that same "Facelift" entry, select the BCM - yellow adapter for connection - and run the "Can Info" item (which is another way of telling you what modules are present and visible to the BCM).

(I'm not sure how much of it's logic MES determines from the basic vehicle type, rather than the responses it gets on the Canbus, but it would be sensible to check the above).

Hello Eb Wijkstra,

i have nearly the same problem connecting to my BCM module.
In my case the Connecting problem could not be solved, using an ELM327 Adapter !
Backround: when the Diag Software tries to open a Diagnostic Session, in most cases there is no Response ! in seldom cases
the response is: I understand the Request, the Response is pending. The UDS Standard said, it could take up to five Seconds to get a Response.
The ELM327 Standard is at his end because the maximum Waittime can be set to nearly 1 Second with the ELM327 Standard AST Command.
What could be the Solution ?
Using an ObdLink Adapter with the ST Command set, or ELM329 Standard wich is prepared for the "I understand the request, the Response is pending"
situation.

So I try to get an Adapter from Vgate, which is cheaper then ObdLink Adapter.. a Chinese Clone, i was in Contact wit the Support, they said, that their Adaptor can handle this Timing case.

I hope that the adaptor is arising today and i test as soon as possible to get accesss.

Information: Mes said in this case: no Connection try again....... and uses always the same connecting strategie.
AlfaObd is a little bit clearer it says: No Response and trys differend strategies to open a Diagnostic Session

Klaus

Hello Eb Wijkstra,

so, my new Adapter from Vgate arrived yesterday and I have done some tests, but no success !
But the Sutuation Changes: when the Software tried to start an Extended Diagnostic Session, then Response from BCM ist the same:
in most cases the Response is "No Data", in seldom nearly 50% the Response is I understand the Request, the Response is pending.
In this Case, and that is new, the Vgate Adapter ist waiting for additional Data from BCM.
The new Problem is, that the Diagnostic Software, tried to send the next Request after nearly 3 Seconds, to the BCM.
The actual result is, that the Adapter stops listening to the CAN Bus und the ELM327 Protocoll Response is: Stopped>
But when I try to set the waiting time to max. 4 seconds, for a response from the Adapter, the Software is not able to handle the communication.

Next steps are to test the Adapter with other Software, or a Montor Program.

I was told the service check could not be updated, because the vehicle was to old (less the 10 years old), which to me was just a fob-off excuse and did not believe them
So I decided myself to plug in the Multiecuscan software. Whatever I try, with 3 different ELM327 interfaces, connection failed to ECU. The ELM327 is the correct one and not a Chinese clone. Now I understood why they could not update the maintenance info. Although nobody else ever connected anything to the engine's ECU, I am convinced somebody at the service station caused this problem. This of course is denied in all its glory.

My question to this forum is: Does anybody know why I cannot connect to the ECU or any advice what to do next please.

For normal Service Reset for Oil Change, is done with the Body Computer.
And i saw, your Body Computer is found by Mes:

Scanning ...

Body / BCM (Body Control Module)
Body Computer Marelli (250FL)
ISO Code: 40 83 6D 8A 8F

When you try to make the Service Reset with Mes: did you use the yellow Adatpter Cable for the low Speed CAN Bus ?
if you dont, you got the Response: CAN ERROR> Cause the Apater can not read any telegram on the Bus.
If you get the Response: NO DATA> the Adapter is connected to the CAN Bus and the Adapter can read several telegrams on the bus, but not the telegram as expected !

greetings Klaus

I suspect you're heartily sick of this ;) but I'm now back home and can do a bit more checking.

As I said up-thread, there are two entries for the X/250 3.0 in MultiEcuscan, pre- and post- facelift. That face lift happened c2011 so, depending on how long it took to convert, yours could be either.

From the "supported vehicles" section of MES, it is apparent that there are significant Canbus and module connectivity differences between the two. In a post above, you've confirmed you've used the "non-facelift" entry in MES, but, the scan results seem to indicate that it is in fact a "facelift" version (or at least MES has identified it as such - running in simulation mode here, the "FL" on the Body Computer definition in your scan results is associated with the "facelift" entry point, not the one you've said you used).

It's all far from definitive, (and still looks like a more basic connectivity issue) but it would be sensible to eliminate possibilities.

I'd suggest you do a further F11 scan under the "Ducato (type 250) Facelift 3.0 Multijet" entry point, and also, under that same "Facelift" entry, select the BCM - yellow adapter for connection - and run the "Can Info" item (which is another way of telling you what modules are present and visible to the BCM).

(I'm not sure how much of it's logic MES determines from the basic vehicle type, rather than the responses it gets on the Canbus, but it would be sensible to check the above).
Hi Hugh,

Thank you for your message and advice.

I changed to FL250 MultiJet 3.0 and now at least I get something out of the ECU. See attachments.
Althogh still no luck with Engine, ABS, Elec. Steering Connection failed CAN bus error and Climate Control, Others. The last two said: No response from Module.
Climate control unit is a Denso Climate Control (Single Zone)
Others are: Air Suspension Control Continental and Parking Control Bosch. Both are: No response from module. But I do not have airsuspension nor Parking Control, hence the "No Response" message.

At least I know the service intervals but how to change them, no idea.
Regards,

Eb W.

Attachments

• Report1.pdf
    460.4 KB · Views: 70
  • Report2.pdf
    458.7 KB · Views: 53
  • Report5.pdf
    459.2 KB · Views: 67
  • Report6.pdf
    460.4 KB · Views: 70
  • Report7.pdf
    482.6 KB · Views: 68
  • Report8.pdf
    463.1 KB · Views: 69
  • Report9.pdf
    541.9 KB · Views: 54
Hello Eb Wijkstra,

so, my new Adapter from Vgate arrived yesterday and I have done some tests, but no success !
But the Sutuation Changes: when the Software tried to start an Extended Diagnostic Session, then Response from BCM ist the same:
in most cases the Response is "No Data", in seldom nearly 50% the Response is I understand the Request, the Response is pending.
In this Case, and that is new, the Vgate Adapter ist waiting for additional Data from BCM.
The new Problem is, that the Diagnostic Software, tried to send the next Request after nearly 3 Seconds, to the BCM.
The actual result is, that the Adapter stops listening to the CAN Bus und the ELM327 Protocoll Response is: Stopped>
But when I try to set the waiting time to max. 4 seconds, for a response from the Adapter, the Software is not able to handle the communication.

Next steps are to test the Adapter with other Software, or a Montor Program.

For normal Service Reset for Oil Change, is done with the Body Computer.
And i saw, your Body Computer is found by Mes:

When you try to make the Service Reset with Mes: did you use the yellow Adatpter Cable for the low Speed CAN Bus ?
if you dont, you got the Response: CAN ERROR> Cause the Apater can not read any telegram on the Bus.
If you get the Response: NO DATA> the Adapter is connected to the CAN Bus and the Adapter can read several telegrams on the bus, but not the telegram as expected !

greetings Klaus
Hallo Klaus,

Thank you for your response.

I am very sorry, but I cannot help you with this. I myself have problems enough to get MES going.
I changed the vehicle to FL250 MultiJet 3.0 and I got at least some info from 3 modules. But I cannot access the Engine module. It says: connection failed. CANBUS error.

Regards,

Eb Wijkstra

Attachments

• Report9.pdf
    541.9 KB · Views: 71
I changed to FL250 MultiJet 3.0 and now at least I get something out of the ECU. See attachments.
Althogh still no luck with Engine, ABS, Elec. Steering Connection failed CAN bus error and Climate Control, Others. The last two said: No response from Module.
Climate control unit is a Denso Climate Control (Single Zone)
Others are: Air Suspension Control Continental and Parking Control Bosch. Both are: No response from module. But I do not have airsuspension nor Parking Control, hence the "No Response" message.

Well, that's getting somewhere!

From your reports installed in your vehicle you have :

Body Computer (Needs adapter)
Engine Computer
Instrument Panel (Needs adapter)
Airbag (Needs adapter)
ABS
Auto Transmission
Steering Angle Sensor (I have a feeling this might be being reported under the "Electric Power Steering" connection, and would need an adapter - I'm pretty sure you won't have electric power steering!))

...as control units fitted to your particular vehicle. (As noted up-thread, MES is configured to give access to all possible modules, even those that aren't fitted to all vehicles - that accounts for (for example) Climate Control, Air Suspension and Parking Control failures - they aren't fitted (your Aircon, if there should thus be manual adjustment, not automatic)).

The Can Info listing you've provided, and the Proxi-align data are consistent with each other, and show no problems. The list of modules is a logical delivered-subset of those that could be there (I might go so far as to say that, as the BCM thinks they're all there, and OK, that there isn't a (connectivity) issue with any of the modules per se - though that's just my conjecture).

The intriguing thing is that all the units you report as being visible/connectable require the use of the adapter (and I assume you're using it), and those you can't all don't require it. If you're correctly using/not using the adapter, then I'm inclined to there being either a fault in the leads (though the fact you can see stuff with an adapter sort of minimises that), or a problem with connections to the OBD socket.

Can you confirm that, using no adapter, ignition on, you can't connect to the Engine ECU?

FWIW, the Service Reset is carried out in the "adjustments" section of the "Service" connection.
Be aware, however, that if your vehicle has a DPF, then there is also an "oil service" reset required on oil change, and this is in the "Engine" connection under the "adjustments" section.

Well, that's getting somewhere!

From your reports installed in your vehicle you have :

Body Computer (Needs adapter)
Engine Computer
Instrument Panel (Needs adapter)
Airbag (Needs adapter)
ABS
Auto Transmission
Steering Angle Sensor (I have a feeling this might be being reported under the "Electric Power Steering" connection, and would need an adapter - I'm pretty sure you won't have electric power steering!))

...as control units fitted to your particular vehicle. (As noted up-thread, MES is configured to give access to all possible modules, even those that aren't fitted to all vehicles - that accounts for (for example) Climate Control, Air Suspension and Parking Control failures - they aren't fitted (your Aircon, if there should thus be manual adjustment, not automatic)).

The Can Info listing you've provided, and the Proxi-align data are consistent with each other, and show no problems. The list of modules is a logical delivered-subset of those that could be there (I might go so far as to say that, as the BCM thinks they're all there, and OK, that there isn't a (connectivity) issue with any of the modules per se - though that's just my conjecture).

The intriguing thing is that all the units you report as being visible/connectable require the use of the adapter (and I assume you're using it), and those you can't all don't require it. If you're correctly using/not using the adapter, then I'm inclined to there being either a fault in the leads (though the fact you can see stuff with an adapter sort of minimises that), or a problem with connections to the OBD socket.

Can you confirm that, using no adapter, ignition on, you can't connect to the Engine ECU?
previous mentioned modules needing an adaptor
FWIW, the Service Reset is carried out in the "adjustments" section of the "Service" connection.
Be aware, however, that if your vehicle has a DPF, then there is also an "oil service" reset required on oil change, and this is in the "Engine" connection under the "adjustments" section.
Hi Hugh,

Thank you for your extended explanation.
We are on a round trip over the south island of New Zealand and just came home.
After unpacking I again connected the OBDII interface to the car connector without the yellow A3 adaptor. I noticed that when the yellow adapter was connected it asked if I would like to connect with this yellow connector.
Now I connected the OBDlink interface without adaptor and when highlighting the Engine part I received the attached report.
It is 120 pages long and to me it looks like it is the info around the 40.000km mark.
At least I have a result.
I will be off line for probably 10/14 days due to medical problems/hospital admission.
When I am well again I will contact you with further results.

Once again Thank you very much for your help.
Take care.

Regards, Eb W.

Attachments

• Report1.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 68
Hallo Ed,

I am very sorry, but I cannot help you with this. I myself have problems enough to get MES going.

that was not my intention, to get help from your side. I am happpy that your problem is solved, to get access to your ECU.

My Problem might be solved: after I disconnected the vehicle battery and then had no voltage in the on-board network, I switched on the ignition to extinguish any residual voltage in the on-board network. After reconnecting the vehicle battery, i got access to my BCM, everything goes fine.

After Reading the full status of the BCM with Android AlfaObd, again no access to the BCM !
Again after disconnecting procedere of the vehicle battery, i test the computer version of AlfaObd, same function: reading full status was stopped and again no access to BCM.
Again after disconnecting procedere of the vehicle battery, i test the Mes functions for the BCM with Mes, everything is ok.

So the reason for my access problems, is reading the full status of the BCM with AlfaObd Android and PC version, of an special internal BCM status PID.

Regards, Klaus

I will be off line for probably 10/14 days due to medical problems/hospital admission.
When I am well again I will contact you with further results.

I think you may well now have got the connectivity you need. A combination of selecting the wrong vehicle and lack of understanding of the workings and use of MES have defeated you to this point. Your understanding of MES still needs quite a bit of work, though ;)

The error code you have ("Accelerator/brake coherency") is almost certainly the result of "big foot syndrome"; pressing both pedals at once causes a short duration of power loss and that code, which should self-reset over time, but can be cleared by MES.

The parameters (which can be viewed easily in the "parameters" view for the ECU without reporting), are almost certainly the current ones. Looking at the distances, some of them look wrong, but from your description of the history of the vehicle, I think they show the effects of the various sets of tinkering and component replacement that has taken place in the past. (I think the displayed distance is taken from the Instrument Panel/Dashboard ECU, and that it may be definitive and different if other components have been replaced).

Come back when you want to go further. Now you appear to have sorted connectivity there are lots of people on here that can help with MES.

(And good luck with the hospital).

Edited to add:

I think you were originally looking at resetting the oil counter. The values on your report indicate that this definitely needs doing. "Degradation" is at 7%, and the value counts down from 100% (value for clean oil after reset). So, either the oil needs changing, or it has been changed recently and the oil counter hasn't been reset. (I suspect it isn't long before it goes into limp mode without that reset (and an oil change as well of course if it hasn't recently been done)).

Last edited:
I think you may well now have got the connectivity you need. A combination of selecting the wrong vehicle and lack of understanding of the workings and use of MES have defeated you to this point. Your understanding of MES still needs quite a bit of work, though ;)

The error code you have ("Accelerator/brake coherency") is almost certainly the result of "big foot syndrome"; pressing both pedals at once causes a short duration of power loss and that code, which should self-reset over time, but can be cleared by MES.

The parameters (which can be viewed easily in the "parameters" view for the ECU without reporting), are almost certainly the current ones. Looking at the distances, some of them look wrong, but from your description of the history of the vehicle, I think they show the effects of the various sets of tinkering and component replacement that has taken place in the past. (I think the displayed distance is taken from the Instrument Panel/Dashboard ECU, and that it may be definitive and different if other components have been replaced).

Come back when you want to go further. Now you appear to have sorted connectivity there are lots of people on here that can help with MES.

(And good luck with the hospital).

Edited to add:

I think you were originally looking at resetting the oil counter. The values on your report indicate that this definitely needs doing. "Degradation" is at 7%, and the value counts down from 100% (value for clean oil after reset). So, either the oil needs changing, or it has been changed recently and the oil counter hasn't been reset. (I suspect it isn't long before it goes into limp mode without that reset (and an oil change as well of course if it hasn't recently been done)).
Hi Hugh,

Thank you once again for your explanation.

Yes, you right in that I am clueless regarding mechanical/electrical understanding of engines. Also my knowledge of the MES system is minimal as well.
Having said that, I still think some thing is not correct in the Engine parameters.

Indeed the trouble started, when the Fiat garage changed the ecu at 45363km. The actual odometer shows now 93124km.
When I got another oil-change a year or so ago the Fiat dealer told me, they could not do the the update of the oil change counts at all. They approach Fiat NZ, but as far as I know there was no reply.
The parameters in the Service part are correct.

I do not have any confidence in the two Fiat garages, I dealt with so far, at all.
I have no idea how to correct this problem.

Kind regards,

Eb W.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-29 115845.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 120
  • Screenshot 2023-03-29 115913.pdf
    266 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot 2023-03-29 115938.pdf
    242 KB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot 2023-03-29 120012.pdf
    267.6 KB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot 2023-03-29 120049.pdf
    265.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot 2023-03-29 120117.pdf
    269 KB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot 2023-03-29 120225.pdf
    257.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot 2023-03-29 122431.pdf
    91 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot 2023-03-29 122506.pdf
    154 KB · Views: 45
Eb,

I'm away from home on and off in the foreseeable future. I can generally respond to the forum via mobile sources, but in hopes you'll be continuing your saga after return from hospital, I'd put a summary and some further info together. There are others on here who can help once you've got the fundamentals sorted and it would be good to resolve your issues.

First: using the appropriate Ducato model definition (X250 3.0 Facelift), with the adapter or no adapter, depending on the particular module you're connecting to, I'd be reasonably sure that your connectivity issues with multiECUscan have largely gone away.

Second: the Canbus Info from the reports you posted show a believable, consistent and properly configured subset of modules for a vehicle such as yours. You will not be able to connect to the modules that multiECUscan supports, but your vehicle doesn't have.

Third: the full report you posted of the engine ECU parameters will contain the *current* data for that ECU. I know it looks like the km reading is too low, but, given the history of your vehicle with an engine ECU replaced at 40,000+km, this will be the running distance for the ECU *from that point* (the replacement ECU will have started at 0km). Note that the dashboard display, at 93,000km or so is not fed from the engine ECU, but from the Dashboard/Instrument panel module, which won't have been replaced/reset, and therefore is showing the full lifetime distance.

Fourth: The readings from the Engine ECU give some insight into why you might want to reset the oil degradation value. The 7% is very low (it counts down from 100% at new oil), and the report has an indication that a warning light (it doesn't say which, but probably the oil light) is flashing. The distances associated with the oil change settings look a bit odd, but I've had occasion to question MES in the past, where I've been sure that "distance at" has really been "distance since" or vice versa.

Fifth: You reference obliquely that you may want to set the time/distance service value(s), and that you had been told this was not possible (due to it being too old/having had too many services?). This adjustment is entirely separate to the Oil Service/Degradation settings, and, though a check of your parameters will be required, as standard these service settings can only be reset 9 times and then the reminder function is disabled. The reported inability to set the interval might be associated with that, BUT, multiECUscan allows a full reset of that value to make it fully functional again.

SO

I see you've had a further play : Once you've got a connection with a specific ECU module, multiECUscan gives you a set of menu items at the top of the screen. They will be a subset of

Info - The basic module definition
Errors - An overview of the trouble codes (DTC) if any, and the ability to clear most of them
Parameters - A list of all the parameters for the module (The parameters are the same as produced for the report such as you've generated, and the current values will be displayed if the LH tick-box(es) is/are selected. (it's quicker than running a report)
Graph - Allows real-time tracing of various parameters
Actuators - allows you to operate/test various functions of the vehicle through MES and without using the controls
Adjustments - this allows alteration/setting of various parameters (and it is where you'll find such things as oil-degradation reset and service interval reset - in the appropriate modules).

Until/unless you're confident in the use of MES, I would very much limit the use of "Adjustments", but it would appear that you might want to do at least one and possibly two sets.

At your risk.....

A: Oil Service (Degradation) reset

Your reported parameters indicate that either there hasn't been an oil-change for quite some time, or that there has been an oil change but the oil service reset hasn't been done.

I wouldn't carry out this reset without a) doing an accompanying oil change, or b) knowing that an oil change had been done very recently, but the reset hadn't.

Under "Ducato X250 3.0 Facelift", and without using the adapter, connect to the "Engine" module.

(You might want to peruse the "Parameters" at this point - they should reflect what is in your report(s)) (added - it looks like you've been here)

Click on "Adjustments" and highlight "Oil Change (only for version with DPF)"

Note the instructions in the RH pane

Click "execute" (bottom RH) and then enter "Y"

Follow the "Key Off"/Wait etc. instructions and on restarting after the required interval you should be reset.

(note, I'm not convinced this always sets the degradation value to absolutely 100%, but it should be in the upper-90's after reset)

B: Service Distance/Interval reset

Under "Ducato X250 3.0 Facelift", and using the adapter, connect to the "Service" module.

(You might want to peruse the "Parameters" at this point)

Click on "Adjustments"

I suspect the items you might want to reset are the "last service date" (which is an absolute date) and possibly the "Next KM Service Reset" (though I think this will set the countdown from a full service period, and you will have used some of that distance already). However, I'm pretty sure on your reported distances that you should mainly be on time rather than distance for servicing, so it is of no great matter.

You also may not be able to change these values if the "Set number of Service Coupons" is zero - if it is zero, adjust that value first (I'd suggest to 9).

Each of the adjustments is achieved by highlighting, pressing execute, and following the notes/inputting values.

C: As a final tidy-up, you might want to connect to the engine ECU again (no adapter) and follw the "errors" menu. If the (very common and uneventful) Accelerator/Brake Inconsistency error is still there, you might choose to clear it - it should disappear of its own accord given time, however.

A further complication is that I now see you're showing a B-CAN line error in the BCM. I'm not sure what that's about, you might try resetting it, or others on here might help.

Eb,

I'm away from home on and off in the foreseeable future. I can generally respond to the forum via mobile sources, but in hopes you'll be continuing your saga after return from hospital, I'd put a summary and some further info together. There are others on here who can help once you've got the fundamentals sorted and it would be good to resolve your issues.

First: using the appropriate Ducato model definition (X250 3.0 Facelift), with the adapter or no adapter, depending on the particular module you're connecting to, I'd be reasonably sure that your connectivity issues with multiECUscan have largely gone away.

Second: the Canbus Info from the reports you posted show a believable, consistent and properly configured subset of modules for a vehicle such as yours. You will not be able to connect to the modules that multiECUscan supports, but your vehicle doesn't have.

Third: the full report you posted of the engine ECU parameters will contain the *current* data for that ECU. I know it looks like the km reading is too low, but, given the history of your vehicle with an engine ECU replaced at 40,000+km, this will be the running distance for the ECU *from that point* (the replacement ECU will have started at 0km). Note that the dashboard display, at 93,000km or so is not fed from the engine ECU, but from the Dashboard/Instrument panel module, which won't have been replaced/reset, and therefore is showing the full lifetime distance.

Fourth: The readings from the Engine ECU give some insight into why you might want to reset the oil degradation value. The 7% is very low (it counts down from 100% at new oil), and the report has an indication that a warning light (it doesn't say which, but probably the oil light) is flashing. The distances associated with the oil change settings look a bit odd, but I've had occasion to question MES in the past, where I've been sure that "distance at" has really been "distance since" or vice versa.

Fifth: You reference obliquely that you may want to set the time/distance service value(s), and that you had been told this was not possible (due to it being too old/having had too many services?). This adjustment is entirely separate to the Oil Service/Degradation settings, and, though a check of your parameters will be required, as standard these service settings can only be reset 9 times and then the reminder function is disabled. The reported inability to set the interval might be associated with that, BUT, multiECUscan allows a full reset of that value to make it fully functional again.

SO

I see you've had a further play : Once you've got a connection with a specific ECU module, multiECUscan gives you a set of menu items at the top of the screen. They will be a subset of

Info - The basic module definition
Errors - An overview of the trouble codes (DTC) if any, and the ability to clear most of them
Parameters - A list of all the parameters for the module (The parameters are the same as produced for the report such as you've generated, and the current values will be displayed if the LH tick-box(es) is/are selected. (it's quicker than running a report)
Graph - Allows real-time tracing of various parameters
Actuators - allows you to operate/test various functions of the vehicle through MES and without using the controls
Adjustments - this allows alteration/setting of various parameters (and it is where you'll find such things as oil-degradation reset and service interval reset - in the appropriate modules).

Until/unless you're confident in the use of MES, I would very much limit the use of "Adjustments", but it would appear that you might want to do at least one and possibly two sets.

At your risk.....

A: Oil Service (Degradation) reset

Your reported parameters indicate that either there hasn't been an oil-change for quite some time, or that there has been an oil change but the oil service reset hasn't been done.

I wouldn't carry out this reset without a) doing an accompanying oil change, or b) knowing that an oil change had been done very recently, but the reset hadn't.

Under "Ducato X250 3.0 Facelift", and without using the adapter, connect to the "Engine" module.

(You might want to peruse the "Parameters" at this point - they should reflect what is in your report(s)) (added - it looks like you've been here)

Click on "Adjustments" and highlight "Oil Change (only for version with DPF)"

Note the instructions in the RH pane

Click "execute" (bottom RH) and then enter "Y"

Follow the "Key Off"/Wait etc. instructions and on restarting after the required interval you should be reset.

(note, I'm not convinced this always sets the degradation value to absolutely 100%, but it should be in the upper-90's after reset)

B: Service Distance/Interval reset

Under "Ducato X250 3.0 Facelift", and using the adapter, connect to the "Service" module.

(You might want to peruse the "Parameters" at this point)

Click on "Adjustments"

I suspect the items you might want to reset are the "last service date" (which is an absolute date) and possibly the "Next KM Service Reset" (though I think this will set the countdown from a full service period, and you will have used some of that distance already). However, I'm pretty sure on your reported distances that you should mainly be on time rather than distance for servicing, so it is of no great matter.

You also may not be able to change these values if the "Set number of Service Coupons" is zero - if it is zero, adjust that value first (I'd suggest to 9).

Each of the adjustments is achieved by highlighting, pressing execute, and following the notes/inputting values.

C: As a final tidy-up, you might want to connect to the engine ECU again (no adapter) and follw the "errors" menu. If the (very common and uneventful) Accelerator/Brake Inconsistency error is still there, you might choose to clear it - it should disappear of its own accord given time, however.

A further complication is that I now see you're showing a B-CAN line error in the BCM. I'm not sure what that's about, you might try resetting it, or others on here might help.
Thanks very much Hugh.
This was certainly an eye-opener for me.

I am still having health problems and are awaiting an angiogram. Most likely a triple bypass is on the cards. Also radiation treatment for cancer. Unfortunately our health system is in a total mess and waiting times can be up to 6 months.

It is autumn and hence not much traveling will be done.

Thank you very much for your help and advice.
Take care.
Kind regards,

Eb W.

Good luck with the treatment. The Canbus code is a bit left-field after the previous, but the oil and km service reset should be relatively easy.
I've visited NZ twice, both motorhome holidays. Didn't get quite down to Invercargill but would love to visit again.

Good luck with the treatment. The Canbus code is a bit left-field after the previous, but the oil and km service reset should be relatively easy.
I've visited NZ twice, both motorhome holidays. Didn't get quite down to Invercargill but would love to visit again.
Hi Hugh,

Sorry I am so late answering your last email.
I have been so many times now in and out of hospital. Next week is the first week with no appointments at all. After that it will start again.

I have done a total service. Unfortunately the garage could not perform an oill change interval. No Fiat dealer in Invercargill at all.

When I came back from Dunedin Hospital I collected the camper from the garage. As said no Fiat dealer, hence Truckstop was my best option.

Today Sunday I connected the laptop and Multiecoscan to the ECU plug and I am very please to tell you, it went all honky-dory. See attachment.

No problems with failure etc.

When in Invercargill, please bring us a visit. You are most welcome to stay with us.

Once again many thanks for all your help and advice.

Take care.

Kind regards,

Eb W.

Attachments

• Fiat Parameters - 2023-06-18.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 50
Thread revival here....
I have a 2011 Ducato 2.3 Multijet Van.....
The back story is for a while if I drove through a big puddle the van would miss or hesitate and kind of de-rate so it would lack power but after a few yards things would return to normal.... I eventually traced this to a rub in the wiring under the fuse box.... repaired wires and all is normal again apart from when it failed the last time and caused me to investigate it put the engine check light on.
Since repairing the wiring it has run perfectly and is now happy in any amount of water.... I've not worried about the engine light but MOT time approaches so called round to a friends fleet workshop to use their all sing and dancing diagnostic tool to turn the light off .
On connecting we can see all the other vehicle ECU's and read and clear faults but not the engine ECU.... it won't allow communication .
Nothing daunted we then called round to another unit on the estate who has the latest Snap On reader and diagnostic kit and the same result...no comm with just the engine ECU but everything else on line and readable ....
Anyone got any ideas ? The engine ECU must be on the CAN because everything works and it's sending info to the dash cluster....
Kind of stuffed at the moment... we can't clear the fault or read any code that is present.......

Back