Technical My B plays April Fool tricks on me...

Currently reading:
Technical My B plays April Fool tricks on me...

Concerning the speedo, for me it ended up being a quick simple job(!). The b-95 speedo was getting really bad last season, neither knocking, slapping the dash nor the trip meter method were working anymore. After reading many posts on it, I tried the light-handed method first, ie only a thorough clean of all contacts (and some dielectric grease (no re-soldering etc)). It's only been a short run so far, but all is good at the moment. For some a re-solder seems necessary, but not necessarily for all.
Update:
Speedo issue is back on the b-95.... :rolleyes:

Speedo issue is back on the b-95....

I was waiting for you to report this :p have done this couple of times, with no lasting effect.
Please continue your research, and keep us posted )

Reactions: tjr
I was waiting for you to report this :p have done this couple of times, with no lasting effect.
Please continue your research, and keep us posted )
Thanks, I feel so much better… :geek:

The million dollar question is if it’s a semi-loose connector, bad soldering joint, or either/or/both? For the b-95 my current guess is toward a connector, as it was working fine, albeit for a short while (a bad joint should have stayed bad).

So Chris

How is the Radweld holding up? or does this question tempt fate? :)
And... I finally got out for a good long run in the B with the heater on. A three hour round trip to Milton Keynes with the heater on all the time and no sign of a leak so thank you @s130 for the tip, thats saved a world of hassle. Also no smell of petrol either so changing the fuel pump seal and getting the bolts welded back on the tank has done the trick.

As an aside in Milton Keynes to visit the annual DS rally, very tempting...
1718358718628.png

And... I finally got out for a good long run in the B with the heater on. A three hour round trip to Milton Keynes with the heater on all the time and no sign of a leak so thank you @s130 for the tip, thats saved a world of hassle. Also no smell of petrol either so changing the fuel pump seal and getting the bolts welded back on the tank has done the trick.

As an aside in Milton Keynes to visit the annual DS rally, very tempting...
View attachment 446380
Please the Radweld? seems to have worked for you.

Use of these sealing products can make some people very wary and say you should not as they can gum up the whole cooling system. Personally if used correctly and not excessively then they are IMHO OK to use.

These products will not seal a big hole so do not really (again IMHO) block waterways, pumps, small bore hoses etc. The worst case of blocking would be over uses that eventually blocks the paths in the radiator matrix. When this happens then the car will not cool correctly under heavy loads and you then know it is time to get the rad replaced or re-cored.

Back