General Handbrake triggering EML

Currently reading:
General Handbrake triggering EML

Steves100

My partner has just bought a 2017 Fiat 500 Lounge and it after a short while the EML cam on. Scanned the fault code which came up as P0106 (MAP sensor), so I fitted a new sensor and cleared the fault code and all good until she applied the hand brake (manual handbrake) then the fault came up again, same code. I cleared it and fine until handbrake is applied when this triggers the EML to come on with a P0106 code!
Has anyone come across this before of can offer any suggestions? I'm tempted to disconnect the handbrake contact that puts the handbrake light on on the dash.
Thank you in anticipation.

When you apply the hand brake does the light come on( handbrake ) on the dash ?
Does the fault code stay away once cleared, if you then start the car with the hand brake on? Is it only after a off then on?
Have the "duck bills" ever been cleaned? If clogged up can allow water to run over the body control module

When you apply the hand brake does the light come on( handbrake ) on the dash ?
Does the fault code stay away once cleared, if you then start the car with the hand brake on? Is it only after a off then on?
Have the "duck bills" ever been cleaned? If clogged up can allow water to run over the body control module
Hello John202020, thank you for the response, I will check all of these this evening and get back to you.

Hello John202020, thank you for the response, I will check all of these this evening and get back to you.
Hello John202020, apologies for the delay getting back to you. Yes the handbrake light is on on the dash. Starting car with hand brake on doesn't cause a problem, only triggers the EML when pulling on the handbrake with ignition on/ engine running.
So I have assumed that maybe the issue is with the switch in the hand brake so I removed the handbrake cover and disconnected it. This seemed to cure the problem for several days (obviously no handbrake light but no EML issues when applying the handbrake.
That is until tonight, my partner has told me that she pulled the handbrake on and the EML came on with all the associated messages ESP, no hill start, stop start not working etc.
Could this be a earth fault on the abs wheel sensor or even faulty sensor? Are there any other sensors eg brake wear? We don't live together so can't check the fault codes until the weekend but my guess is it will show the same fault being the MAP sensor.
So an annoying electrical fault, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

An abs sensor fault "should" trigger the abs warning light, you'd then get maybe another warning say traction control, there is( if still connected) a front brake pad wear sensor usually on the passenger side but this would trigger a check brakes warning when pressing the foot brake, also check the duck bills if not checked they're in the engine bay and if not clear can under heavy rain lead to the bcm getting drenched?
Worth looking at the rear brakes too?
Does EVERYTHING work on the rear tailgate like the handle boot release lights wiper etc?

Last edited:
An abs sensor fault "should" trigger the abs warning light, you'd then get maybe another warning say traction control, there is( if still connected) a front brake pad wear sensor usually on the passenger side but this would trigger a check brakes warning when pressing the foot brake, also check the duck bills if not checked they're in the engine bay and if not clear can under heavy rain lead to the bcm getting drenched?
Worth looking at the rear brakes too?
Does EVERYTHING work on the rear tailgate like the handle boot release lights wiper etc?
Hi John202020
Thanks I will check the duckbills, I'll check which lights come on. Everything worked on the hatchback, then the warning came up to say numberplate light not working, which turned out not to be a bulb but a wire disconnected at the grommet where the cables enter the hatchback now fixed. Just frustrating that applying the hand brake triggered the eml again even though the handbrake warning light switch has been disconnected.

Back