General 2.4 Stilo Abarth oil filter

Currently reading:
General 2.4 Stilo Abarth oil filter

tony_m

Where is the oil filter on the stilo Abarth????? CXar jacked up but still can't see it:confused:

Front of the engine. Item #1 in this diagram.

Attachments

• 2400 Oil Filter.JPG
    2400 Oil Filter.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 188
It's a bit of a pain? It's located right by the exhaust manifold just below the alternator. Ideally you should do an oil change when the engine is hot as the oil flows better but with the filter right by the manifold it is virtually impossible to remove it without touching the manifold so it's best done when it's cold? And you'll almost certainly get the contents of the filter everywhere as you try and extract the filter out the bottom......... I wish it was like my wife's fiesta, right at the bottom in front of the sump, such a delight to change :D

You were right. It is a major pain. I spent ages trying to loosen it and then found out I couldn't get it out. I had to remove the lower half exhaust shield. In future I think I will remove the lower exhaust sheild and I think it would be a lot easier. To loosen it I attacked it from the top with a pole pushing down on the side of the filter. A quarter turn was enough to loosen it then got my hand in, from underath to take it off by hand.
Thanks for the replies

Another tip. Once you've removed the old filter, examine it carefully to ensure the o-ring seal is still in place. If it isn't, it will still be on the engine (which you can't see), and if you try to fit a new filter with the old o-ring still in place, it will leak like a sieve.

Resurrecting this one to be a warning for any 2.4 Abarth/Schumacher owner who wants to change his own oil & filter, as the filter is a real pig of a job to do.

The sump plug (8mm Allen) is quite straightforward and drains centrally to the car. Unfortunately the filter is hidden up between the bottom of the Alternator and the side of the Catalytic converter. I was fortunate to be able to use a pit, but trying to do it in the drive would be nigh on impossible. Be warned :confused: .

Back